Wednesday 2 May 2007

Waiting for a girl like you!


Foreigner’s “Waiting for a girl like you!” is the song that reminds me of a very special person, in fact most of my other memorable songs are connected to him to, so I will tell you the beginning of the story now and it may take a few days to complete.

Those of you who read my 3 part story of Tom & Mandy which I wrote on the “other side” before my op, will have already have been introduced to my friend Mandy.

Mandy has a younger brother, Eric. Eric had 2 very good friends, then tended to be known as the Three Muskateers, as they were always together and always getting into scrapes. All for one and one for all, that sort of thing! Eric’s friends were Sam and Bob.

Eric , Sam and Bob were 4 years younger than Mandy and I, the same age as my sister Amy, so really they were her friends. When they were very young I thought nothing about them at all, except they were annoying little boys, after all when I was 16 they were 12!

However, when I was 20 and they were 16 things changed. If anything I’d been mildly attracted to Eric, he was the cute one with black hair and dark brown eyes, a look I tend to go for and I did have the odd day dream about us being together, but you could have knocked me down with a feather when I think about what actually happened.

It was Christmas 1981, Amy decided to she wanted a Party, and as I had been away at Uni, it was down to her to organise and it was mostly her friends, including Eric, Bob and Sam.

As the evening got underway and drink was flowing, I found myself sitting in the hallway chatting with Sam, I’d not really had so much as a word with him before but we just talked and talked and it felt so natural and I began to feel very comfortable in his presence and when we kissed it seemed like the most natural thing in the world, we just melted into one another. Meanwhile , the party was starting to break up and every one was going, we wandered back into the living room and found it desserted apart from Amy and her boyfriend, soon they went up to bed, leaving just Sam and I.

We just sat on the floor and played lots of records and suddenly Foreigner’s “Waiting for a girl like you” came on and Sam , just whispered “You’re just what I was waiting for” and kissed me again.

The moment was broken by my dad shouting down the stairs, “The party’s over, turn that music off and anyone left go home!”

The next day, I was a be shell shocked , what was I doing kissing someone so young, what would every one say, I’d be a laughing stock, But I liked him , he gave me such a lovely feeling inside, all warm and fuzzy. That day I had to go out to see a friend several miles away so I was gone all day, but when I got back, Mum said I’d had a visitor. Sam had been round on his Motorbike and asked if I was in and when he found I wasn’t , he asked about borrowing some records.

I didn’t see him again for sometime, as I went back to Uni, but back there in Manchester I was so restless, I couldn’t study all I could do was think about Sam, but I didn’t know how to contact him, he had no phone and I didn’t know his address, but I knew where the house was. I couldn’t ask Mandy because I was worried about her reaction , after all Sam was her kid brothers friend not someone you’d be interested in romantically!

After a couple of weeks I could bear it no more, I decided I had to make contact somehow. I found a post card, it had a horse on the front and I can’t remember exactly what I wrote, but the giste was “ I don’t know if you want to speak to me again, but this is my address if would like to write to me.” I made a guess at the addrees, White cottage, on the corner, Village name…………….I posted it and waited.

A few days later I got a letter back! I was over joyed, he told me how much he’d wanted to see me again and asked when I was coming home again, he asked if I’d be home at Easter and if we could go to the dance together. The idea of seeing him, excited me, but I was also petrified, this just didn’t seem right, he was too young. I was conscious that friends would laugh at me.

Tomorrow I’ll give you “Total Eclipse of the heart”

4 comments:

Suffolkmum said...

I'm loving these trips back into the past Muddie! I had a boyfriend once who was younger than me, only 2 years, but it's a lot when you're 19 - I remember all those feelings of it being a bit embarassing, but you know what, he was a BIG love in my life, even though it didn't last long!

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Oh muddie - i've just seen your song for tomorrow.... I've got it ... can I play it really really loud - can I?

DevonLife said...

i can't wait!

Kitty said...

Loving this - so romantic!