Sunday 6 May 2007

Sultana Slab cake

This is a recipe which I posted on the "dark side" some weeks ago and due to popular demand, brownmouse & un peu loufoque, I am posting it here again.
If you've not already tried it, do , it's a great cake for filling up hungry men and children and goes well with custard too!

12oz-1lb sultanas
3 eggs
12oz sugar , this can be caster or soft brown
2 tsp almond essence
8oz butter/marg
12oz plain flour + 2tsp baking power (or 12oz self raising)

Place fruit in pan and cover with water, bring to boil and simmer for 15mins
Mix sugar, eggs & essence in large bowl,
drain Sultanas and put butter in saucepan with them, put back on heat until butter melted.
Remove from heat and add to egg mixture, stir well
Add flour and pour into greased baking tray (8"x 12"ish)

Bake in oven on gas 3 or 150C for 45 mins

Happy cooking,

As an alternative I sometimes make it into a Chocolate Fudge brownie type cake, instead of sultanas I add 2 mars bars to melted butter and 2 table spoons of cocoa powder in place of some of the flour, using same priciples, works well too!

Elaine

13 comments:

Pondside said...

This sounds like this afternoon's treat with tea! I can't imagine putting the mars bars in the cake but will try that as well - how can anything not be improved by the addition of chocolate!

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Oh wonderful - but I would have to eat it all as Happy Snaper hates cake with dried fruit in it. I have to buy individual slices of Xmas cake and small Xmas puddings for me at Xmas . . . .along with a handful of sprouts and one parsnip , , , ,

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Oh thanks now I will andrew@wanadoo.fr know where to find it !

Exmoorjane said...

Oh wow, Muddy - I have been reading back on your blogs. All those songs (crikey, it takes me back)....and lost loves and heartbreak....
Were you at Manchester University? I did my English degree there - 1979-81....very happy memories. I loved Manchester.
Hope you're still continuing to feel better and better.
Janexxx

Inthemud said...

NB: Recipe ingredients should say 2 tsps Almond essence.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Ah yes now the Mars Bar version - would go down well and all over my legs, hips and bum no doubt!

CAMILLA said...

Thank you Muddie for the recipe, adore cake, I will try it.
Thank you for your message dear Muddie, it will be great for you to see your eldest daughter in Spain soon. I will try and get some info for you on the Taxidermist you were asking about. I did not know we had one in Reepham, I shall enquire in the village for you.
Warm Wishes.
Camilla.xx

Eden said...

thanks for the recipe Elaine, and for the lovely pic of rabbit.

Suffolkmum said...

The cake sounds fantastic, I will make it, definitely. Just catching up as I haven't been near the computer for a couple of days - hope you take it easy, going back to work this week.

Blossomcottage said...

Oh yummy, sounds great not sure my waiste line is up to it, but who cares.
Blossom

Fennie said...

Thanks for the recipe Muddie, I like anything with sultanas.

On diaries I would never have the wretched thing with me whenI wanted to write something so I just used any old sheets of paper and then shoved them in a file. Untidy, but it has the advantage you can write anywhere and people think you are only making notes for a shopping list. What I find eerie is how, when prompted by what you have written, you can remember the whole scene, even from years back.

Frances said...

Elaine, that cake sounds delicious. I will try to save the recipe and try it.
I did enjoy sitting yesterday, and it set (!) me up well for a very long and active day today.
Rest is possible again tomorrow.
Best wishes. Let us know how back to work goes for you.
xo

Tattieweasle said...

I know what the Boy and I are going to do this afternoon after school! However, I feel I had better buy more than the stipulated amounts of Mars bars!!! Hungry work cooking....