Wednesday 9 May 2007

The return to work


A picture of Brighton Pavillion, hope that brings back happy memories Un Peu Loufoque!
Today saw me make my first tentative moves towards returning to work, I am looking forward to seeing my families again and getting back into the swing of things.
I had to go to Brighton to meet my manager, Jean, a very lovely person, so this was no hardship.
But to get to Brighton I have to drive along a notoriously dangerous stretch of road, the A272, which crosses the other main roads going northwards to London. I must admit I was feeling quite vulnerable as I set out on my journey, it's not as if this is my first time driving as i've been back behind the wheel for 2 weeks, but it was the first time I'd been on such a long journey alone since before the operation.
The A272 takes you through some pretty villages and country side but there is a sinister feel as you go along certain section, shrines of flowers in memory of loved ones killed along the road, jump out and hit you in the face. I know it is important to grieve but I do wonder at the need for such visual signs along a road, it is most disturbing. As I drive along one section near Bucks Barn crossroads, I recall a colleague who was killed in an accident only a few months back. He was only 53, and he was not at fault the other driver lost control and hit him.
I stopped at the Post office at Cowfold to send a letter to Sophie in Spain, she rang this morning, she wasn't feeling too well, so was having a lazy day, but tomorrow she starts work, she is to clean 2 apartments, she says she is looking forward to it! It is a trial, so she will only get more work if she does this well.
Arriving in Brighton, I feel better, I'm looking forward to seeing Jean & Issi. They botyh greet me with big hugs, and soon tea is made and we chat. Jean filled me in with news of work and then we go off to Lunch. Jean takes me to a place called "Open House" it's an Arty sort of Bar/cafe, lots of interesting pieces of art hung on the walls for people to buy. We order our lunch and sit on big comfy Chesterfield Sofas, the place is almost empty but it has a nice feel to it.
I eat Pittas with assorted dips and Jean has a Risotto.
I love Brighton, it's such a vibrant place, full of intersting and colourful people. Some people call it Little London! Well, given the choice I'd rather be in Brighton any day, London doesn't have any Sea!
Unfortunately , due to having to collect Lucy from school , there is no time to walk around The Lanes or go in the Pavillion, or even go on the beach, but it was a jolly good first day at work!!

8 comments:

toady said...

I haven't been to Brighton for years but when I was a kid my Grandparents, Uncle, Aunt and Cousins used to live there and I was despatched every summer holiday to stay. I loved it.Don't you start overdoing it now. Toady

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Ditto from me - don't go overdoing it. But you have passed another hurdle now - hope it made you feel good.

Chris Stovell said...

Oh, do you know its strange we were talking about Brighton the other day, it's one place I do miss. Take care of yourself.

Suffolkmum said...

So glad it went well. Back on the road to normality. i love Brighton, I have friends there but haven't been for a while. That road does sound a bit spooky, we have a notorious 'crash' road near here, I hate driving on it.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Sounds like a positive start, muddie. Hope your work continues in the same positive vein, and enjoy all that sea air!

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Think yourself lucky here we have large black cut outs of bodies with red paint where the fatal blow was struck (ie head usually) by the side of the road I have even seen a horse one adnd a morobike very bizzarre!!

glad first day went well!

CAMILLA said...

So glad that your day back at work went well dear Muddie. Went to Brighton many many years ago before I was married.Dont do too much, and enjoy the fresh sea air.
Camilla.xx

CAMILLA said...

Have just seen your message, thank you for that dear Muddie. Yes, Reepham is a lovely village, first came here in 1985. It would be lovely to see you, let me know when you are coming to Norfolk. I have not given up on Taxidermist, will let you know.
Camilla.xx