Wednesday 23 May 2007

Memories and smells


The field next door is totally quiet today. The men have not come back. The only sign that they had been are a few extra posts in the ground and one of the stable doors is wide open. I know nothing more, but will keep you posted!!

Today I was thinking about smells and memories that drift through the mind when you smell a certain smell. It can catch you unawares, suddenly you get a vague scent of something in time gone by, it's hard to place but it jolts the brain and suddenly you are transported back to a time long ago and the memories come flooding back.

My nan has been dead for 30 years but her perfume lingers on, she used to use that cologne with the numbers 4711,(Thanks to Toady for remembering!),I just know the smell. My Nan suffered from most severe arthritis and diabetes and I only ever knew her as an old very disabled woman. She lived in a council bungalow in Worstead, that of the Woollen fame and more recently for the wonderful 3 day festivals every summer.

My mum, my sister and I used to visit my nan every Thursday, that was the only day the bus ran in that direction as it was market day in North Walsham. The bus went in the other direction on a Tuesday for the Stalham Sale each week.

My nan's home had such a wonderful array of smells that hit you as you entered the hallway, foody sort of smells wafted from the tiny kitchen, my uncle tried to boil a lobster one day and it climbed out of the pan and chased him and nan round the living room, in the end they couldn't cook it and gave it to a neighbour!

The bathroom smelt of bath salts and talcum powder, do you remember the old Bath crystals? They had such a distinctive smell and talcum powder smelling of rose petals. The bath salts were kept in an old Quality Street tin, with the woman and men dressed in Victorian clothes, you remember?

But my favourite smells were in nan's bedroom, her dressing table was full of little perfume bottles, that loose face powder that you use with the big brush and the darkest, reddest lip sticks, I used to love playing with those lip sticks, but they stained so much, my lips stayed red all day! Nan had a big double bed with a flowery, patch work quilt that she had made and a rag rug on the floor also made by her. At the side of her bed were her arm and leg splints, these had a strange plasticy smell and were very pink ,I was quite scared of them as they looked like real arms and legs just sitting there. Nan also had a jam jar with sugar lumps beside her bed, this was to help her with her diabetes, to stop her blacking out. I got very frightened when she blacked out but it was normal for her.

My sister and I used to love lunch times, nan would always make blancmange in separate dishes for us and she'd put a cherry on top. I never realised until I was older why her blancmange always tasted different to everyone elses, it was because she made it with sacccarine instead of sugar, because of her diabetes. I liked it like that and found the sugar way strange! We'd sit at nan's dining table, it was one of the big square tables that had pull out ends, she'd always have it covered with a dark chenille cloth.

Nan's garden was a jungle, no one ever cut the grass and there was a huge hill in the middle where someone had left a pile of soil and grass had grown over it. My sister & I loved playing "I'm the king of the castle" and pushing each other down the hill. We'd also search for Dodamens, that's snails for those who don't know Norfolk! My sister collected them and looked after them, we'd take them home on the bus in a box!

Another hilight of visiting nan was when the Corona man came, we never had him at our house, but he came to nan's road every Thursday so we'd take an empty bottle back and get our 3d and buy a new bottle for 9d. We both loved Red Cherry Corona best.

At 3pm we'd walk back up the street to catch the bus home, we loved visiting our nan,

However, when she came to live with us, things were not so good and life changed , but that is another story.

16 comments:

toady said...

I think the cologne may have 4711. I still like it now, it's very fresh. I remember the Corona man. Corona was always much fizzier than other pop, always gave you the burps.

Inthemud said...

Thanks Toady that is it I'll change the blog!

Bluestocking Mum said...

Hi Muddie
What a lovely blog-of course being brought up with my Nan, there are many things in your memories and smells that were mine too.

My Nans special scent was Helena Rubensteins Apple Blossom. I chanced upon some a few months ago in a little independent chemist in Shrewsbury.


You also made me smile thinking about the corona man. We used to have the lemonade man delivering-my favourite was limeade and dandelion and burdock!

warm wishes
xx

bodran... said...

My nan had the same perfume and i love the bottles,and the smell of germolene always brings her back..x

Chris Stovell said...

Your blog and the reference to face powder made me think about watching my mum make up when I was little. She used to have a block mascara that she spat in to wet it before applying! Imagine that now!

Suffolkmum said...

Oh that cologne! My Nana used the same one! I haven't thought about that for years. We always get one of those Quality Street tins at Chrsitmas, because they remind us both of our childhood. Lovely blog.

Suffolkmum said...

Oh that cologne! My Nana used the same one! I haven't thought about that for years. We always get one of those Quality Street tins at Chrsitmas, because they remind us both of our childhood. Lovely blog.

muddyboots said...

amazing, things that l have forgotten, eau de colgone 4711, corona, bath salts, what happened to, what was it? aquamanda is that the right product? soap on a rope.

CAMILLA said...

Hello dear Muddie,
Had forgotten about 4711, it has brought it all back to me. Remember my first ever bottle of perfume when I was about fifteen, it was called Californian Poppy, not sure if it was in a small purple bottle. I remember too having Cherryade in a large glass bottle, when consumed, one could take the bottle back and get money on it, ah, them were the days.
Camilla.xx

JacquiMcR said...

Muddie, your blog made me stop and remember (good memories). I love the smell of burning turf, but not having an open fire at the moment (will change with my extension) I used to rely on little blocks of compressed turf which I burn on a little slate. They come in a cardboard cottage and are normally sold to the tourists in ireland. I have recently finished my last block and having thrown the box away do not know how to get another one. I'll just have to hang on to the memory of the smell until I get back to Ireland.

Also when we were small, my sister used to inhale the smell from the round tins of shoe polish (probably quite dangerous but we didn't know any better).

I also love the fresh smell that you get outdoors once the rain has gone off.

Thank you for making me smile - take care - Jacqui x

Woozle1967 said...

Oh the memories you brought back for me too! I used to sit at nan's dressing table and cover myself in loose powder - oh, the mess, I made as a toddler! Wonderful, carefree times.xx

Exmoorjane said...

Corona, oh heck, yes! When I stayed with my grandparents in Castle Cary I was allowed to go to the corner shop and buy a bottle....we'd put ice cream in it for a float. Such a huge treat then.
jxxxx

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Know just what you mean about smells transporting you back! My nan used to have a great black Victorian mantlepiece clock with rearing horses either side of the clock face and a really slow tick - a sound that always makes me think of her front parlour.

Pondside said...

My mother-in-law loved that cologne! She is the only one I ever knew who wore it - but she was a Dane, and perhaps it wasn't sold over here. My Grandmother always used Noxema on her skin - that scent takes me right back to childhood and sitting on her bed as she let her hair down and creamed her face.
What ARE the men doing - keep us posted!

Cait O'Connor said...

Cherryade! You have brought back memories of the Corona van which came every week. And 4711, I even owned some once (I'm not really that old!) Do you remember Estee Lauder's Youth Dew. (not that long ago)
And Max Factor Creme Puff?

countrymousie said...

I love the smell of tar on new roads - and creosote, and jeys fluid - rather odd, but there you go - and of course new mown grass.
I have some old 4711 fresh wipey things in the back bedroom - they must have been mum's. I found them the other day. love mousie