Monday 25 June 2007

The surprise letter

Last Tuesday morning the postman came, as his car slows down the dog pricks up her ears, she knows that sound and she runs up stairs and looks out of the window, yes, it's the postie, she runs down and rushes to the front door. The postman hesitates as he puts the letters through the box, will the dog grab the letters? or will she just let them fall to the floor? This time she watches them drop to the floor, sometimes she grabs them, I think it depends which postie it is, one she likes the other she doesn't!

I pick up th letters, bill, bill, circular, circular, then one with an Australian Stamp. Whi is that from? My first thought is that it is from one of Stan's relatives as he has several in Australia, his dad was born there. It is a type written envelope. I open it and stare at it..........
What? Who?

It's a letter from one of my cousins. The black sheep of the family in some ways. There was a falling out with her parents, can't remember the cause, but she stopped speaking to them, she then stopped speaking to anyone in the family for fear that they may divulve her whereabouts to her parents. I was deeply saddened by her disappearance. This happened around 10 years ago....................Now suddenly I get a letter from her. I'm surprised but delighted!

At long last she has made contact with her parents. Her father is very ill and it's time to make up. Such joy at last, after all the distress they ahve had.

I immediately emailed her and on Friday I received a reply, she is pleased that we are back in touch, she is happy in her new life and did what she had to do for the best at the time.

Kill the fattened sheep,the prodigal returns.

16 comments:

Woozle1967 said...

Hi Muddie. Just doing a late night catch up (as ever, it seems, these days!). What lovely news about your cousin. I met up with my cousin last year after twenty years and it was wonderful. We email regularly now and have vowed not to let it drift again.xx

CAMILLA said...

Hello Dear Muddie,
Thank you so much for your kind comments and concern. Lovely news about your cousin, good too that she has made up with Father. Lots of heavy flooding here in Norfolk, although nowhere as bad as Leeds. When I had Yorkie dogs, they would sit patiently by the letter-box each morning waiting for Postie, then they were like two mad boxing Kangeroo's, each fighting to tear up the envelopes. I now have an external postbox outside the Cottage, so no more ripped mail anymore. Fingers crossed for Wednesday Muddie.
Camilla.xx

Chris Stovell said...

Good news. Hope all goes well.

Anonymous said...

It's exciting when the postman arrives isn't it. Living up here it's sometimes the highlight of the day!

I was thinking when I got to the end of your blog, how sad it is that something major has to happen in one's life in order for reconcilation. It's been the same in my own life, a few times.

Jaynebeth said...

How wonderful, someone new coming in to your lives, enjoy it!

Suffolkmum said...

So glad to hear the news, great when a prodigal returns.

countrymousie said...

Hi Muddie - what super news - nothing like patching up a family quarrel - you feel somewhat renewed. We have several ongoing rifts in our family - some never to be healed I fear. Mostly my father's doing but he tends to forget it affects so many others.
Now you have someone to reaquaint with - lovely. mousie x

Unknown said...

What brilliant news!

My Dad fell out with his older sister about 20 years ago and when he was ill recently, I contacted her and we had a nice long chat. I thought it was all going to be ok, but Dad has seemingly decided to let sleeping dogs lie and hasn't mentioned her really since the day he came out of hospital. I would love to get a letter like yours from one of my long-lost cousins. I'm so happy for your family that this has all worked out!

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Think I ought to contact my cousin....think..perhaps another day.....keep writing abou yours and I might make an effort!

CAMILLA said...

Hello Dear Muddie,
Have just popped in to say best of luck for your interview later today, let me know how you got on.
Camilla.xx

CAMILLA said...

Once again Dear Muddie, many congratulatons on your new post, when do you have to start? Thank you for your messages.
Camilla.xx

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Lovely news - hope the reconciliation goes well. Families can be difficult and complicated things.

Pondside said...

I don't think there are many things that have quite the feel of a real letter, delivered by a living mail man. I love the internet, but there's nothing like a letter with a stamp.
I hope you're able to stay connected with your cousin - perhaps you'll get to meet one day.

CAMILLA said...

Dear Muddie,
Have popped in to say hello, once again I am sorry to hear the sad news about your uncle, my sympathies to you. How is Sophie, did she manage to get her flight to England last Friday, hope all is okay, lovely to have her home again with you.
Camilla.xx

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Hi Muddie ..just flew in to tag you ...for 5 ways to pull yourself out of the doldrums...UPL started this..blame her!

Holy Way said...

Our dog absolutely loves to jump up for the post - infact he waits by the front door just so he can bark at it when it arrives!

so pleased you got the new job you wanted and its going well.