Monday 18 June 2007

Trouble in Paradise


I'm feeling exhausted and achey this morning following being kept awake half the night having been awoken by the telephone at midnight and finding my daughter, Sophie in Spain, at the end of the line in a dreadful state.

It's so hard to support her when she is so far away.


Through the tears I managed to glean that the boyfriend M was not being very nice. Two of her friends from England arrived that day, and M doesn't like J very much and so the old green eyed monster presented itself. Soph, J & E all went out for the evening and it sounds like j drank to much but soph had not been drinking. M kept ringing her asking when they were coming back and then got cross because she said they'd be back by 2am, he got so angry and said if they were going to stay out that late they shouldn't come back and he would double lock the door. He then threatened to pack her bags and make her come back to England with her friends.


It was at this point she rang me. She has some other contacts out tehre, M's brother and girlfriend are there nearby too, so after much talking I suggested she contact them. If worst came to worst she could stay at A's.

After half an hour I went back to bed. But I couldn't sleep. My poor baby was upset and i should have been able to be there but she's too far away.


About an hour later the phone went again, this time it was M. He wanted to give his side of the story, he said they had got back to the complex but wouldn't come in, they were all in the swimming pool, which is against the rules. He didn't know what to do with them. We talked things through I tried to get him to understand how important it was for Soph to be able to have some fun with her friends , she had missed them so much and it was the first night. After a while he he seemed to calm down. I suggested he go and calmly get them out of the pool and then get to bed.


Back to bed I went still couldn't sleep, but glad to have spoken to M as well as Soph.

I just lay there thinking things over and not knowing what to do, mind you there is nothing I can do.


I had just dropped off when there is a huge cafuffle in the hall, I hear a yeowl and the odg charges down the stairs. I suddenly remember I left the cat indoors, i thought he was shut in the study but I went down and found the door open and a very disgruntled cat sitting high up on the table to avoid the dog, so i let the cat outside and again went back to bed.


Still couldn't sleep, eventually dropped off just before the Teasmade went off and another day is beginning!


Not heard any more from M & Soph, hope things have calmed down. These types of upsets used to happen all the time when they lived here in Sussex but I worry now because they are so far away and I can't do anything except talk.
Photo is the swimming pool they were in last night in the dark!

13 comments:

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Hi Muddie haven't found you for ages....have you been away or is it me? Deep breath girl..they'll sort it out...and you'll suffer from the stress of it if you're not careful....who'd be a mother 'eh?

countrymousie said...

Oh muddie - when they are babes they make you arms ache and when they grow they make your heart ache - thats what my mum in law used to saw. You never stop worrying however old they get.
It will sort out no doubt. keep strong - love mousie

Chris Stovell said...

Coo! I haven't heard Mousie's adage but I was going to say something very like it. Had a smiliar experience to you when Lily was in America with her rat, er , ex-boyf.

toady said...

My daughter and her partner argue like cat and dog and it really uspets me sometimes. The thing is it always blows over very quickly and then I'm very glad I bit my tongue. They'll sort it out, don't worry. Toady

Anonymous said...

Yikes! To think your baby is unhappy and there's nothing you can do is really hard to cope with. You poor thing.

My dad cried on the drop-off zone at Manchester Airport twenty years ago when I went on holiday with some friends. To him at aged 17, I was still his baby. I will always remember that moment as long as I live.

I guess the time comes when you feel you have to let go. But children will always pull at your heartstrings no matter how old they are. Crystal x

Elizabethd said...

You never stop worrying about them, at whatever age...it's so hard.

Pondside said...

Poor Muddie - it's so hard when they're far away. I think it's lovely that they both want to talk to you. They'll sort things out and forget that they've given you such a terrible night - and that's young love!

Pipany said...

It's hard when this sort of thing happens a lot as you know it's best to hold your tongue yet you want to bang their heads together! Hpe you have a better night tonight, Muddie xx

Sally Townsend said...

Muddie, I think they are designed to age us rapidly !

CAMILLA said...

Hello Dear Muddie,
How awful for you, I too would be worrying, it's only natural that you want what is best for Sophie. I do hope it all gets sorted out soon. Sorry I have not seen you for few days, husband is ill and and has to have more blood tests on Thursday. Thank you for comments Muddie.
Camilla.xx

CAMILLA said...

Hello Dear Muddie,
Thank you so much for your message, and your concern about my husband. He is still at the N & N Hospital,but ths morning he was very very ill, and went into complete RENAL FAILURE. Oxygen had to be administered, his (OBS) -BP very high, PULSE - very high, TEMP - extremely low. I am mentally very tired at the moment with all the worry, but my family have been wonderful, and so supportive. Waiting to know the long-term answer, he may have to have continual Dyalisis. Thank you Dear Muddie for your concern, when you have enough on YOUR plate, hope Sophie will be alright, let me know the outcome, and I hope you are doing okay yourself Muddie.
Speak to you again tomorrow, night night.
Camilla.xxx

CAMILLA said...

Hello Dear Muddie,
Thank you so much for your concern and your comments, so very kind of you. My husband is much brighter thankgoodness, he has no intravenous now thankfully, he was diagnosed by Paramedics as having complete Renal Failure, it now be not the case, how wrong is that! My husband had a terrible INFECTION which was swobbed, and sent quickly to Colchester in Essex for results.I am not very amused by the way the staff have not been able to give me details this week, but I did manage to find a brilliant staff nurse yesterday afternoon, who was so helpful, great people skills.
How is Sophie, and how are you Muddie? Thank you so much for your concern and your comments dear, dear Muddie.
Camilla.xx

Cait O'Connor said...

I am a bit late catching up on blogs.
Hope things are OK now but you have my sympathy. I loved countrymousie's comment and quite agree, you never stop worrying about them do you, however old they are? But things work out, I try and say This too shall pass....
Very best wishes
Caitx