Thursday 14 June 2007

My Bedroom Secret!


I have a confession to make! I'm a secret Teasmade user!
There has been much discussion in the media this week about Teasmade's making a come back. I gather John Lewis had stopped selling them but they get so many requests each day that they have decided to start stocking them again.
I gather that Norma Major was rather the death knoll of the Teasmade in the 1980's when she professed to having one and all of middle England went into shock and denial about their Teasmade's.
But I love my Teasmade, I was given it as a Wedding present by my sister. It was a much wanted present! Ever since I was a Toddler I have been woken up with a cup of tea in the morning.
In the early years my dad would be the first one up and he would go downstairs and made a Pot of tea and bring the cups up for my mum and I.
Then my mum bought a Teasmade, A Goblin. This transformed our waking up, dad no longer had to get out of bed. Mum would prepare the teasmade the night before, bringing up cups , milk and tea bags. She would fill the Teasmade kettle and at 6am every morning the Teasmade would hiss and bubble and pour boiling water into the pot and Mum would bring me a lovely cup of tea.
I knew I had to carry on this tradition, I cannot function without my first cup of tea, and if I didn't have it whilst still in bed and vaguely asleep I don't know when I would get around to having one. after all once you're up and about the daily chores of sorting out lunches, getting children dressed and ready for school, dogs walked and push a few mouthfuls of cereal down there is not time to sit and enjoy a cuppa.
When I first met stan , he was a coffee man and only ever drank tea if he was unwell or suffering a hangover! But slowly and surely I taught him the joys of a good cup of tea and he soon realised that a teasmade was an excellent idea. So I made sure Teasmade was at the top of my Wedding present list!
So my sister bought us one, A Swan Teasmade.
That was 21 years ago and it is still going strong even though it is used every single day of the year.
The only minor con is that in the heat of a hot summer the milk goes off, but I've worked out a way of keeping milk cold with a Ice Block from the freezer , which I put under the milk and keeps it cool on the hottest of nights.
I wouldn't be without my Teasmade! what about you? Will anyone else dare to confess they have one and use it!!

15 comments:

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Sorry, can not confess to that which I do not have, but my mother had one and it went to my aunt when my mother died so it must be about 35 years old I imagine by now and still going strong!

countrymousie said...

Never had one and if any one did when I was younger - I thought them very posh!! I have to get up and make the bloody stuff myself. How very up to date you are Muddie - but we knew that anyway didnt we - love mousie

annakarenin said...

Coffe drinker who unlike Stan never drinks tea so won't change. Would love a coffee version though at the mo it is Mike but he isn't always reliable.

Sorry to read about Sophie and she looks great in the photo's. At least if she was jome you would be able to make sure she looked after herself but I can understand that she wants to stay for her friends.
Rachel X

Posie said...

Oh you bought back memories. My dad used to always get up and make us all cups of tea in bed, and then he got a teasmade.

Chris Stovell said...

My parents had a Goblin teasmade! I loved it because it had a little red goblin symbol on it! Now I have a my very own teamaking goblin, reader, I married him.

Suffolkmum said...

I have to get up and make my own - what have I been missing out on all these years?! I can't function without tea. You are obviously very cutting-edge!

toady said...

We used to have one because OH always used to get up very early when he was lorry driving. I used to love waking up to the glugging and hissing. One big downside was that we had twin Siamese X Persian cats at the time and they would always manage to get their paws into the cups overnight. Toady

Elizabethd said...

We had one too way back in the 80s, but it died some years later. It was good having the tea, but all that hissing and bubbling was a bit nervewracking!

Woozle1967 said...

Hi Muddie, so glad you managed to make your decision about work. Am secretly glad you decided what you did - life is short enough. Re the teasmade - ahhhh, I used to have one (a Goblin) but now I have something called J and he makes a fine one, believe me!xx

Faith said...

Chrish your reply is so funny!

My parents had a Goblin teasmade. It went up in the loft at some point and I sold it at a car boot very many years later for about £30.

I did have a teasmade when first married to Hub1. The first time we used it, I dreamt that a big snake was hissing over me.... of course it was the steam coming out of the teasmade. Scared me to death and never used it again!

Anonymous said...

Never had one but wouldn't mind one. I get a cuppa made for me in the evening when I go to bed by hubby though. A lady I know has one, I think she's had it for donkey's years. She buys that revolting UHT or whatever it is.
Crystal x

CAMILLA said...

Hello Dear Muddie,
Yes, I saw a programme in the week about Teasmade, a collector who had numerous ones. I like the idea of having one with lamp attached, very cosy. Have never owned one though. Thank you for your concern about my husband. He is still in the N & N University Hospital, he has had lots of tests and examinations, may have to have a STENT fitted to his heart to allow the artery's to stay unblocked.
Sorry to hear about your daughter Sophie, quite worrying for you, I expect you will be glad to see her come home again. BTW, love the Audrey Hepburn Films, she was so beautiful, there is a shop in Reepham that sells handbags with her image on. My son bought me Breakfast At Tiffany's last Christmas. Warm Wishes to you Muddie.
Camilla.xx

Pondside said...

I'd never heard of such a thing! It sounds very practical. In my house no one ever has tea in bed, but I like that idea too - I'm learning a lot on this site!

Zoë said...

I am a coffee drinker too, tea on the afternoon at 4ish though! with regard to your question on my page nope, its an overflow from a lake in the grounds of a NT property that is privately rented by Marylyn Abbott, an aussie garden designer who lives here 6 months of the year , and back in OZ the rest. She has written several books on design and colour, and is a throughly nice women, my cottage is in the same lane as the house, and I visit often to roam the grounds, as a 'friend' of west green. I have a picture of what's actually inside, I can email you it if you want to drop me a mail so I know where to send it. Zoë xx

blythe said...

I've recently been given a teasmade and it's the best thing ever! It's great in the morning, waking up and having a lovely cuppa without moving an inch.

To all the coffee drinkers why not just set up a cafetiere and use the hot water in that? I use the hot water for all kinds of drinks and it saves keep washing up the pot every day :o)