Thursday 14 February 2008

Valentine's Tradition



Valentine's day was always something to look forward to as a child growing up in North Norfolk. I didn't think of it in terms of "Love" and Boyfriends or Girlfriends, no it was far more exciting than that.

It was the night that Valentine would call at the house and leave little gifts.
My sister & I couldn't wait for it to get dark, because Valentine wouldn't come if it was still day light as he didn't want to be seen.
We'd keep pearing out of the window, watching the sun set and the dusk coming down.
Then at last it'd be dark.
We'd wait.
We'd wait a bit more, then a "Knock, Knock" at the door, we'd stumble over each other to get to the door first.
Look down on the mat and see 2 small packages, one named "E" ,the other "A", we'd pick them up and excitedly take them into the living room. We'd quickly undo the packages, and find a colouring book and pencils.We'd rush to show Mum or dad who ever was in the kitchen.

A few minutes later there is another knock at the door, again we rush off, this time there was 3 packages, one for me, one for my siaster and one for Mum!
Dad had gone to the shed, so mum was in the kitchen and we took our packages to her.
Boxes of smarties for my sister and I, Box of Black Magic for Mum!




This knocking at the door and finding little parcels would happen 5-6 times and we'd end up with a delightful pile of little pressies.

Such a joy!
It was many yeasr before I realised who was "being" Valentine, it was so cleverly done, that i didn't miss the parent who was out side doing the knocking, and in fact sometimes my grandad would join in too, he lived next door, so Mum and dad would be with us and Valentine would still knock!!

I have carried this tradition on with my children and they love it.

I think it is a Norfolk thing, My mum says valentine came to her as a child, but many people have never ever heard of it. Have you?

11 comments:

Milla said...

Not heard of it but an enchanting idea which I wish I'd known about to do here. Maybe next year.

Faith said...

This is a charming idea, and the thing to do if children are very small and grow up with it! so much nicer than all the commercial cards etc. I felt quite excited for you and your sister when I was reading it. I think there needs to be at least 2 or 3 children, or more, waiting for the bundles to make it fun!

Casdok said...

A lovely tradition!!

Milla said...

(PS Thanks Muddie!)

Mary said...

Oh, what fun! It sounds like a lovely tradition. When my kids were small, we did something similar for Halloween, but instead of just our family, we did it for neighbors. It was called "ghosting."

Have a wonderful day!
xoxo,
Mary

DJ Kirkby said...

What a fabulous idea, I love it!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of this (even living in Norfolk for 8 years now!). It is a lovely idea though. Alas, I think Ali is too old for this now!

Pondside said...

Lovely tradition!...and how nice that you continued with your children. I love the illustration with this post, too.

CAMILLA said...

I think that this is such a lovely idea Muddie, how nice to think that that you have carried this on with your children, I did exactly the same with mine.

Camilla.xx

Inthemud said...

Oh Camilla, That's such a relief to read that you know about Valentine coming too!!

Almost American said...

That's a new one to me too. What a nice tradition!