Wednesday 6 February 2008

The Three Bears






Once upon a time there were 3 bears. Daddy Bear, Mummy Bear and Baby Bear. They lived in a cottage in the woods.
The three bears lived very happily together until one day at breakfast time mummy bear said " I've made the porridge but it's very hot, lets have a walk in the woods whilst it cools"

So off they went.
Whilst they were gone a little girl called Goldilocks came upon the cottage. She was lost, cold and tired and hungry. She knocked at the door , but there was no reply, but the door was ajar, she went in. She saw the porridge bowls on the table she was very hungry, so first she sat in Big chair and tried daddy bears porridge, "oh too hot!", then she sat in the middle sized chair and tried that porridge, " oh too cold!", the she sat in the small chair and tried the baby bears porridge "Yummy, not too hot or too cold! Just right " she said and ate it all up!
Goldilocks was very tired now , so she went upstairs to find a bed. First she found Daddy bear's bed, "Too hard"; then she tried Mummy Bear's bed, "Too soft"; Then she found baby bear's " Not too hard or too soft, Just right" so she lay down and went to sleep.
The bears returned from their walk. Daddy bear felt something was wrong as he walked through the door. "Who's been sitting in my chair? Who's been eating my porridge? He said.
Mummy Bear could see something was wrong too " who's been sitting in my chair ? and who's been eating my porridge? She said
Baby Bear looked at his place at table..." Oh no, Who's been sitting in my chair and look they 've eaten up all my porridge? He burst into tears. Mummy hugged him.
Daddy Bear said I'm going to look around, he went upstairs. Mummy followed with baby Bear.
"Who's been sleeping in my bed?" he said, "Who's been sleeping in my bed?" said Mummy Bear, the Baby Bear looked at his bed, "Look ! He shouted "who's been sleeping in my bed and she's still there!!"
The shouting woke Goldilocks. She junped up with fright and ran down the stairs and out of the door, and was never seen again!
Sorry I just couldn't resist, once I'd posted the photo of our family bears, the story just happened to come through my fingers and onto the keyboard! Forgive me!


The three bears are mine and Stan's from our childhood, they now sit as a family on a chair in our bedroom and are the first thing i notice as I sit up in bed in the morning.







This bear is one of mine. He's called Growley, which is a bit of a misnomer as he never did growl, even though he was supposed too. I had him on my first birthday , so that makes him 45 years old. As you can see he is well worn and well loved. But I think he was stuffed too tight with starw and so the growl mechnism was faulty. I used to get so frustrated. The idea was that you turned him upside down and as you raised him up , he was supposed to growl deep and low, but all I got out of him was a grunt!! Don't think it helped with me leaving him out in the garden in the rain!







That reminds me of the wonderful "Teddy Robinson" stories, anyone remember them? lovely stories, by Joan G Robinson..



Just for a short time, he started growling properly, don't know why but then it stopped again. Growley has travelled with me through life and now he's found a Partner in Stan's Bear.











Stan didn't tell me he had a bear for some years. It was when his mum and dad were moving house and they brought over a box of Stan's old things, which had been in their attic. In the box was Bear, this bear has no name. Boy's apparently don't name toys! So to me he is Stan Bear. As you can see he is older than my bear, much more worn out and weary looking, hardly any fur left on him and his head's a bit wobbly. Stan got him on his first birthday too, so that makes Stan Bear 50!







And so to Baby Bear, this little bear is mine . He is known as Baby Bear. I received him on my first Christmas from my very special Godmother, who lives in Switzerland. He is such a cute little bear but not cuddly, very hard stuffing, but I used to carry him around with me a lot. Now he had a squeaker and it did squeak very well, not so now though!

I didn't save many of my childhood toys, unlike my sister who kept all her Sindy's and Baby dolls and her pram, which my mum brought out for our children to play with, so it's really quite special that we have our bears.

What bears or toys have you kept?

7 comments:

Expat mum said...

I was just going to have a purge of my kids' soft toys when they were all at school. Now I think I had better wait in case I remove anything that means something special to them. Lovely story.

Casdok said...

Ahhh, this is so cute!!

Norma Murray said...

I love bears. I never had one myself, only a blue fur rabbit, but it wasn't the same. Your bears are a really happy little family.

Inthemud said...

I almost did a blog about my long time bear - or rabbit as it is. She is called Carrot and my Auntie Jean gave her to me when I was five. She has been to bed with me ever since that day. And I mean every single night. Honeymoons, holidays, hospitals, sleep overs, weekends at mum's.

Crystal xx
Posted by: Crystal Jigsaw on 6th Feb 2008 at 03:18PM
Re:
sadly deprived childhood. Never had a bear...everyone say ahhh in sympathy...
Posted by: Unpeuloufoque on 6th Feb 2008 at 04:15PM
Re:
Ahh! poor UPL,
Hope your children have a bear or two to make up for you missing out!

Crystal! Even on your HoneyMoons!( You've had more than 1 I take it!) Lovely!
Posted by: Inthemud on 6th Feb 2008 at 04:39PM
Re:
I've not kept much from my childhood but these two have travelled this far. These are my bears. Teddy and um, small Teddy. The larger teddy seems to have been very loved around the feet but is otherwise largely unscathed. I don't think I was too bothered with soft toys. He too was a growler - and has a vestige of it still - but you have to thump him awfully hard to get a noise.
The small teddy lacks eyes because my mother was convinced they would work loose and choke me - most of my stuffed toys were eyeless for that reason. They were all 'surgically removed' with the sewing scissors. Gruesome.

I also have a black cat which currently lives on top of the kitchen cupboard because our HPR dog insists on retrieving if it is within his reach. That cat does look battered so I must have paid it some attention.

I had a 'walking, talking' doll which I called Christine - a most unlovely thing really - all hard plastic, with a gingham frock, white socks and pink shoes. Ginger plaits too. I think she said 'mama' mechanically and her walk was more of a march. Most unsatisfying. When we moved house I gave her to my art teacher friend for her students to draw. They seem to have enjoyed her more than me.
Posted by: Mountainear on 6th Feb 2008 at 05:38PM
Re:
I didn't own a Teddy either, although my then to be husband bought me one on my 28th birthday. I have a ragged ancient spaniel who is called 'Charlie Dog' that my Grandma gave me when I was 7, and he has been loved to death and has a pouch in his tummy where I stuffed all sorts of secrets and treasures over the years. He sits in a chair in my room.
Posted by: Zoƫ on 6th Feb 2008 at 06:03PM
Re:
My mother made me one out of yellow and blue mattress ticking, stuffed him with sawdust and added button eyes that fell off with surprising regularity. He floated down the irrigation ditch one day when I was about 10 and ended up at the bottom of the ditch full of stink and mud. My mother burned him rather unceremoniously after that. End of story.
Posted by: Woolyworks on 6th Feb 2008 at 06:18PM
Re:
Still have Badger and basil (a badger and a fox) they have travelled all over the world and are now guests in The Boy's room. When feeling very sad and lonely I always grab them to go to bed with....once when talking about deatha nd dying in general with my younger sister she said that she'd have them when I died. I promptly replied that she wouldn't because they would be buried with me. It is still one of my dearest wishes....(god that was/is macarbre!!!!!)
Posted by: Tattie Weasle on 6th Feb 2008 at 06:24PM
Re:
You met my bears that got re-stuffed - I have others as well and our bedroom is full of stuffed toys . . .

HS used to have a toy squirrel . . .his mother once said to me that she had to, over the years, replace the stuffing and the external covering - but it was still same the squirrel . . . .

She also said to me 'I have a picture of you with your mouth shut . . . I am thinking of getting it framed . . . ' However we do get on . . . .
Posted by: Westerwitch on 6th Feb 2008 at 06:31PM
Re:
Mountaineer, Thanks for showing us your bears, oh, how gruesome though to have there eyes removed!

Zoe , your Charlie dog sounds a bit like my old golly, carried it every where till it fell to pieces, just left with a head!

Woolyworks, sad story with sad ending!

Tattie weasle: does sound a bit macabre, but would your sister really want them, they are your beloved badger and fox.
Posted by: Inthemud on 6th Feb 2008 at 06:36PM
Re:
Yes WW I remember your bears that you had stuffed!
HS's squirrel sounds a bit like a snake, new skin, new stuffing, same squirrel yep!
Posted by: Inthemud on 6th Feb 2008 at 06:38PM
Re:
I have doggy. I got him for my first Christmas. He went everywhere with me. I've been sick on him and everything. He's been patched up many times. Always used to be in bed with me. I think he's under my bed now. I only questioned in the last 10 years why I called him 'Doggy', he's nothing like a dog at all. I'll take a photo of him and put it on here so you can all say what you think he is.
Posted by: Vic on 6th Feb 2008 at 08:32PM
Re:
Mum and Dad made me give away my teddy bear when I was about seven. I still remember the trauma of seeing the flaps of the box being folded down over Brownie's head. I've been replacing him ever since. I bought Aloysius when I was a teenager (and Brideshead was on the telly) and now my girls have so many bears! I just can't resist buying them (and I'll never make them give them away. Ever.)
Posted by: Preseli Mags on 6th Feb 2008 at 08:50PM
Re:
Lovely to hear about old bears and other old cuddly friends! Hub3 and me have our bears sitting on a chair in the bedroom and yes it was me who blogged about them. My eldest daughter still has Daddy's bear- well over 90 years old.
Posted by: Faith on 6th Feb 2008 at 08:59PM
Re:
Thank you Muddie, I will pop over to take a look later.

I adore Bears, I have seven of them, they all have names of course. They sit on the chair in the bedroom, and an Aunt who is 72 has had her Bear since she was 1 year old, he looks a tad raggedy, but she loves him. xx
Posted by: Camilla on 7th Feb 2008 at 01:53AM
Re:
It's been lovely to read about all your bears and cuddlies!I think there is a phase in childhood when you think "I've grown out of bears and things", that's when parents think, "oh well we can get rid of this lot and make room for more grown up things", so bears and dolls go.
Then we grow up and start to care about bears again, it's not childish and boyfriends like to give bears as gifts, so have special feelings attached. It's cool again!

So parents out there, don't throw bears and special toys away, pack them up and store them till they are wanted again!!
Posted by: Inthemud on 7th Feb 2008 at 09:28AM

Faith said...

Always enjoy seeing well loved bears!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I do so love the Teddy Robinson stories and great pictures of your bears!

CAMILLA said...

Hi Muddie,

I absolutely love Bears, I have seven sitting on shelf in bedroom and on Lloyd Loom chair. They all have names of course. George, Jeremiah, Pops, Rupert, Edward, Tiddlywinks, Alice Pips, child at heart.!!

My Aunt has one she has had since she was 1 year old, she says it looks very tatty now, but she still loves it, must be 70 years old now.

Camilla.xx