Monday 18 February 2008

"Have a nice Trip, see you next fall".....................

Once was careless, but twice was just humiliating!
What am I talking about? you ask, I'm talking about tripping up, falling over, slipping down.
As a child I was constantly grazing knees and elbows, falling off my bike, running on gravel and slipping over, the worst was when the tarmac was hot and I fell on the road, I'd get covered in tar and road chippings in my cut, the agony of having Dettol rubbed into the wound and Mum having to pick out the grit! As an adult it doesn't normally happen very often, but isn't it so humiliating and we have further to fall.
Twice in this last week I've taken a tumble. This is just ridiculous. I'm I just clumsy? Or is it something more serious? I think the former.

The first time was on Wednesday morning as I walked back through the garden with the dogs, we have a grassy slope, I usually take the lower path to avoid it, but today the dogs took me through the slope way, it was damp and very slippery, I lost my footing and slid down the bank, landing on my posterior, really jarred my hip . I looked up to see the dogs just standing over me, looking at me in that starnge way, "What are you doing down there" they seemed to say. I got up, shook myself down and wadddled in with very wet trousers, yuk! Had to change.
That was ok, no harm done, and no one except the dogs saw me.

Then on Saturday I'm in my local village , getting a few bits of shopping, going to the library and getting a DVD for Lucy from the rental shop.
We are just walking back to the car, I'm wearing a pair of boots with a small heel, I step off the curb, the next thing I realise is I'm falling, I cannot stop my self, my heel has caught in the paving and I can see myself in slow motion falling forward on to my knees and I put my hand out to break the fall, I land heavily. I'm shocked. I sit in this position for a few seconds, a woman comes over and kindly asks if I'm ok, I say I'll be fine. Lucy is with me and looks worried, but i really am fine, just feeling very silly, the woman stands by me and says she will stay until i've got up. She's sees my elephant keyring has fallen off my keys so she picks it up for me. I get up, I've grazed my hand and it's bleeding, my knee is throbbing, but i'm ok so I gingerly walk to the car, I thank the woman for her concern. I get into the car and feel quite sick and shook up.

Last time I wear those boots! I must be more careful!

Has anyone else fallen lately? Any stories to tell?

10 comments:

Casdok said...

Oh dear poor you.
I fall quite often, as you know i cant move my right foot, so when i am tired i tripand fall very easily.
Like you say now we are grown up - its further to fall.
Hope your ok.

Inthemud said...

Yes, I'm ok, but got stiff hip and bruised hand and knee.

Yes, Of course Casdok, I know well about your right foot. Hope it's not causing you too much distress .

CAMILLA said...

Good Morning Muddie,

Look after those bruises, eek, could have been more serious.

I remember my daughter falling over on her way to school when she was small, grazed knee, plasters and so on, she still reminds me of it now and then.

I fell over a couple of times a few years ago when I was out with dogs, cut hands and ankle, but the worse was I felt so silly in falling in the first place. When it was the last day on the ward where I worked at the hospital, I slipped quite badly in the corridor of the ward, cleaner did not put down a sign to say she had just mopped it, I ended up with a nasty fractured ankle, could not work for three weeks.

Take care Muddie, hope you are feeling alright now, on the question of Boots, I was wearing flats at the time.!

Love Camilla.xx

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Oh Inthemud I bet that made you feel miserable. Hope you aren't feeling too sore today.

I have a slope just outside my office door and have fallen there a couple of times when I am coming back in from the walking the dogs . . . landed on my bum too - so can really empathise with you.

We had a lady staying here a few years ago who slipped on a grassy bank by our lochan and fell and broke her leg . . .

Yes we have further to fall as adults and we don't bounce quite so well either . . . .

Fennie said...

Interestingly Jane Shilling who writes in Times2 on a Friday devoted a whole article (its really just a posh sort of blog) to exactly the same thing - falling both off her own legs and those of her horse's as well. So maybe it's something in the ether. Do hope you're feeling better and don't be cross with yourself, which seems to be the normal reaction after a fall. The amazing thing after all is not why we fall, but why we don't fal very much more often, considering the balancing feats we call up on our ears to perform whenever we so much as stand up.

Norma Murray said...

I have every sympathy, being a bit of a 'faller' myself. Hopefully it was only pride that was hurt this time, but it does leave a person feeling very shaken. Take care and the boots in the bin?

Pondside said...

It's an awful feeling - knowing you're going down and not a thing to be done about it - although worse is the sitting/lying on the ground afterwards! It sounds as though maybe your mind is ahead of your feet, as my dad would say! I'm glad to hear that there are no serious after effects.

Wooly Works said...

No one falls down more than I do. I'm confident of that. It's just too bad that the bigger we get the harder we fall. If there's ice, I'll slip. If there's a slope, I'll slide. If there are dogs, I'll trip over them. If there's manure, I'll find it and go down in it. Thankfully, I've never fallen on my face without my hands in front of me. The embarrassment is the worst part, but I don't always tell somebody when I fall in order to avoid that part.

Oh I hope you're feeling alright. Two hard falls on the backside can really mess up your back and neck for a couple of weeks.

Frances said...

Hello Elaine,
I join you in the falling report.
On my way to work yesterday (wearing my very lovely black silk palazzo pants under my very warm and serviceable and unglamorous down coat) I am making my way up the unbearably filthy steps of the subway up to the street level.

And. Somehow catch my foot in a palazzo leg, and down I go. A sweet young couple just behind me on the steps, were kind and did not rush past me, but asked if they could assist me.

Thank goodness I was fine, though one knee is a bit tender. My main worry was ... did I damage the trousers! And what sort of unmentionable dirt might be on my hands and clothes! What priorities I do have.

xo

Inthemud said...

Frances,
Sorry to read about your fall and hope you are ok, such a shame about the beautiful trousers, hope they are not badly damaged.
I'm glad I posted about the falls, now i see I'm not alone and that many of us seem to trip and fall , hopefully not doing serious damage though.
Fennie , I've not read Jane Shillings article, but what a strange coincidence, I get the Times most days , as have subscription, but didn't pick it up on Friday
Camilla, poor you falling in the hospital and in flat shoes!
Oh WW, your poor visitor, breaking her leg, that's not good.

Well, glad in a way to see I'm not on my own and many of us are prone to falling!