Saturday 2 February 2008

Nil by mouth


The letter said " Do not eat after 3am and do not drink after 6am. Arrive at the hospital at 7.30am. Do not arrive before 7.20am as staff will be in the middle of change over."

I duly did as I was told , I ate my dinner at 7pm on Monday evening and had a biscuit at some point before going to bed. I had my bath and "prepared" myself for theatre, removing all make up, nail polish and jewellry. Actually I didn't; I totally forgot to remove my rings and cross necklace. So I had to declare them to the nurse when they admitted me.
I went to bed and slept reasonably well, a little anxious but not enough to prevent me from sleeping.
I awoke to the sound of the teasmade going off at 6.10am, but I thought " It's too late I can't have a cup, it's gone 6am". So I just made a cup for Stan and got up to see to the dogs and get my final things ready.
At 7am we set off on the 20 mile journey to the hospital, it was a damp , misty morning, so no frost the scrap, just jumped in the van, ( Yes, I had to travel in my Stan's van, as he was going straight on to work).
Arrived at the hospital at 7.40am, not too early and maybe a tad too late, but it didn't seem to matter. I kissed Stan "Goodbye", He said "Good Luck and call me later, Love you!" He drove off.
I walked into reception and was greeted by a kindly receptionist, who quickly told me which way to go and to report to the Nurses desk on the ward.

A young student nurse was asked to show me to my bed, it was in a room with 3 other beds. 2 for my consultant and 2 for another. One other woman was already at her bed, her husband was with us. We were asked to do a "sample", she nurse said they do a pregnancy test, just in case...
totally unnecessary as far as I was concerned I knew I couldn't be pregnant...............even so i was relieved when she came back and told me it was negative! So was the other woman as she had long gone through the menopause!

So we sat and waited, I sat and read, the other woman sat and talked quietly with her husband.
Time ticked on and at 10am, the group of doctors came by and did various tests and filled in bits of paper. First they spoke to the other woman, I overheard them say " It's a long list today and you won't go down until the afternoon", then they came over to me and I asked what time i'd be seen, he repeated "It's a long list today and you are last on the list!" "LAST on the list! Why , then was I asked to come in at 7.30am!" I exclaim " Can I have a drink then?"
"Maybe , we'll have to see" he replied.
"I was told that if I was on the morning list I'd be asked to come in at 7.30am , but if I was to be seen in the afternoon, it would mean coming in at 11.30am and being able to have some breakfast, why were we all told to come in early? " I ask
"I can't answer that, " He said, " I'll see if I can get you a drink"
They left, soon a nurse came in, I remembered her from last time, she recognised me too. I explained what had just been said. She agreed that the other woman and I could have a glass of water to drink up to 11am.

So we had our drops of water, we sat and read . The other woman's husband decided to leave, no point wasting a whole day.

At 11.30am 2 new patients arrived for the other consultant, by 12.30pm one had already gone for surgery. We sat and waited and read.
The 12.30pm patient came back, the other one went down at 2pm.
We sat and waited and read some more.
The anestheitist came to see us, cheked us over, no loose crowns etc.
2.30pm came and the other woman went down for her operation. She was gone a long time.
So I just sat and waited and read some more, it was a good book, so good to have plenty of time to read: James Frey's " A million little pieces" about drug and alcohol dependency and his rehabilitation. My client lent it to me, she is about to go to rehab, all thanks to this book.
4.45pm AT LAST they came for me.

The next thing i know I'm back on the ward, it's 6pm, sleep on and off till 8pm, then have a cup of tea, I'm sick............
11pm I'm so hungry, I try a sandwich, I sleep till 4am, I'm awoken by someones buzzer going off, and then can't get back to sleep.
5.45am Have another cup of tea, I'm sick again.
They give me an anti sickness tablet, I'm sick again.
I had anti sickness drugs whilst in theatre but I still get sick.
12 noon I'm not in much discomfort. My new boob is looking good!
I'm really staving now, I've not eaten for 36 hours
Lunch comes,Start with Melon and then a lovely dish of Mushroom Ragout and Rice, I eat it with relish and follow it with Ice cream . It stays down.
2pm I GO HOME. My daughter Emma collected me.

17 comments:

Casdok said...

So glad to hear you are home and all is well.
And not pregnant!!!

Zoë said...

hehehe, I can't tell you how many times in the past year I have been made to do a pregnancy test whilst in hospital waiting for surgery or a procedure. It does make me giggle too! I am so glad you are on the mend though, and I hope the new edition makes life more comfortable. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery, Zoë xx

Frances said...

Elaine, you have written this blog so well. We can all experience the passing of time. And the value of a book at hand. And just how thirsty one can be!

Best wishes as always. xo

Ivy said...

Isn't it cruel how they make you suffer before an op can't they get their timing any better? I mean why waste time and space for such a long time and it leaves you to your fears and anguish for far too long a time. I cant' concentrate on any book when sitting in a doctors or dentist's waiting room so how bad must it be before an op? Glad that you are on the mend now and the result has been satisfactory. Now rest and let the others pamper you. Love Ivy

Norma Murray said...

I'm so glad it went well. You sound so very calm. Make sure you get plenty of rest. The temptation to do too much, tooo quickly is always there,
Best wishes LWB

bodran... said...

Pheww i was there with you, i thought you where going to say they made you wait until the day after,xxoo glad alls well.

Wizzard said...

Glad to hear that it all went well. Now you can rest, and have a cuppa anytime you like.
Yes, hospitals are daft sometimes. When I had surgery under local anaesthetic they told me not to eat or drink. when I went to have my throat looked down they asked me to take a sample, but never asked for it. I think they just have a standard list that they dont cross check with what the patient is actually having done etc.

Wx

Anonymous said...

I think it's a scandal that they do this. I've heard it happen many times and it also happened to Jim (my late fil) when he went in for an op concerning his Glaucoma (sorry about spelling). Taxi picked him up at 8am, no food, no water, had op at 4pm. The man was 82 years old and had to sit in a waiting room all that time. Apart from which, it made him worse.

Really happy that you can put this behind you now and enjoy a nice cuppa in your own time. I bet you couldn't wait for a decent pot of tea when you got home.

Take care,
Crystal xx

Inthemud said...

Yes,I am indeed enjoyinglots of cups of tea now! What bliss!

Cait O'Connor said...

I am glad it is all over now! It reminded me of my nursing days and days as a patient too.
You wrote it very well.
It would have been hell without James Frey for company?

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Thats sorted then ...now RELAX for a couple of weeks ...plenty of reading, blogging and all those cups of tea...

Take care

bradan said...

You are so calm, I would have been a nervous wreck having to wait like that! I'm glad it all went well though and wish you a full and speedy recovery xx

Grouse said...

But isnt it bliss to be back in your own BED?

mountainear said...

I'm sure you're glad it's done and dusted. Make sure you get plenty of rest now - insist on being waited on hand, foot and boob.

CAMILLA said...

Hi Muddie,

It will now be a relief the op is over, and at least now you can have as many cuppa's as you wish.

Awful that you were kept waiting so long when you were asked to come to hospital early,especially when you were probably anxious about op.

Dont rush back to work unless you feel 100 per cent Muddie, lots of rest, and forget the housework.

Love Camilla.xx

. said...

Glad you are back and on the mend. Hope you recover soon.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Thank you for sharing this. I am so glad you are home now and taking your time. I really identified with you here but you sound very calm and positive. All the very best.