Monday 10 March 2008

So who's home was it then?





Well, as far as I can fathom the hole in the tree was home to a family of Great Spotted woodpeckers in the spring.
As I used to walk past the tree I'd hear the twiterings coming from the hole and see little heads poking out, as I approached they would hide inside, once I'd passed they
would pop out again. Occasionally I would see the parent Great Spotted Woodpecker fly out as I was near by.

The young birds fledged and left the nest empty.

A few months later there was no activity, new residents had arrived to live in the tree, this time it was bees!!
They would usually ignore me as i walked past but sometimes they would fly out and look at me menaceingly, so I'd walk faster and hurry Beth along.
As summer turned to Autumn the bees disappeared and the hole in the tree became vacant again.


So far I've not seen any activity, but i expect the Woodpeckers will be back soon.



Nobody guessed the bees but 2 of you guessed the Woodpeckers, Pipany and Zoe, So you both win the box of Roses Chocolates.

And the 2 inventive answers that amused me most were Elizabethd's "Hobbit House" and WesterWitch's "A very large and impatient bookworm", so you 2 can also take a box of Roses. Enjoy!!

10 comments:

Cait O'Connor said...

Thanks for that..... really interesting the fact that it has been home to two species.

Elizabethd said...

Thank you so much, Chocolates, yum!

Anonymous said...

Well done to the chocolate winners! We get woodpeckers on a huge tree near the house. My friends at Purple Coo were able to tell me what it was by just a description of it. Clever lot on PC!

Crystal xx
P.S. I like the strawberry creams if anyone's handing them out...!

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Aw ta . . .

Actually looking more carefully at the hole I can see that there have been bees I think . . .

Pipany said...

Oh how exciting! Thank you so much - I love choccies and will forward the strawberry creams to Crystal xx

Zoƫ said...

Gosh! :: curtseys:: why thank you, how lovely!

Faith said...

Dash! missed it yesterday and my chance of winning some chocs! still trying to be good for daughter's wedding in June. I see a woodpecker like that nearly every day now. He comes to eat the suet block thing I put up for the tits.

CAMILLA said...

Oh sorry, missed this yesterday Elaine. Congratulations to the winners.!

Camilla.xx

DJ Kirkby said...

Wow, that was interesting. I love woodpeckers, they are quite amazing to watch. My dad lives in a log cabin and one is determined that it will be his if he continues to be persistent enough! Don't think my dad would tolerate the bees with the same good humour though...

Wooly Works said...

We had a bee tree that actually fell last year due to the enormity of the hive. Can't imagine what a woodpecker would have done to it.

By the way I couldn't resist tagging you. Go to my blog for the rules and I'll look forward to reading a little more about you.