Thursday 20 September 2007

End of a Spanish Dream

"They're coming home"
This is home.

The Spanish dream is all but at an end for my daughter Sophie and partner M. In less than 12 hours they will be making their way to the Airport in Malaga for the final time.





The last few days have been frantic and emotional for them and for me. There has been a lot of phone calls to and from Spain in order to make arrangements, deposit funds into Sophie's bank so they could buy extra cases, then more money to cover excess baggage at airport. Book flights, arrange car and so on...... I haven't slept at all well for the past few nights. I just want them home now. It was Ok when they were settled and happy but now it's all changed and I have that feeling of doom and gloom. I will only relax when the door opens at 2am and they walk in, the dog will of course go loopy and wake everyone else up...................but who cares, my baby is coming home!





M's boss still hasn't paid him his dues, he's worked solidly for that man for the last 4 months and has only been paid for 2 months, yet boss seemed surprised when M said he was leaving as he couldn't live without money! Boss gave him 100 euros, What a cheek! He owes him 2400 euros!





Sophie was terribly upset yesterday , they had to take the little dog that they'd been looking after to the Rehoming centre. They hadn't set out to have a dog, but some british friends who'd been in Spain for a long time hadn't taken this stray dog in and when they were returning to England 6 weeks ago they asked Sophie and m if they would take him. Sophie loves dogs and soon they became closest friends. He's only young, bit of a mongrel, but seemed to have some Red Setter in him,tall, thin with very long spindly legs, and red hair and floppy ears.


The other chap they shared with , didn't like the dog and would not take it on.


So yesterday, they made that long journey to the Vet's and re homing centre. Sophie was in floods of tears and felt she was betraying Lucky, but the vet said there was a very good chance of him being re homed as he is young and full of fun. I felt for Sophie, but I wasn't there to be able to give her a hug.





I'll be glad when she is safely back here , until the next adventure takes them off again!


They are talking of going to France, where M's Dad and Step Mum live, though i can't see that working. M and step mum do not see eye to eye, and M & his dad have a volatile relationship too..........but we'll see.





On a totally different front : Did anyone see the BBC news this morning? There was an item about fly fishing and breast cancer recovery in Sussex . I was fascinated by it, there appears to be strong correlation between fly fishing and getting a good recovery from breast cancer, as the fishing uses muscles that help to repair the arms where surgery has taken place and also the therapeutic side of just being at one with water and nature and thinking of nothing but trying to catch a fish. I've never been at all interested in fishing, but this got me thinking maybe I should!


Anyone know much about Fly fishing? I 'd love to hear about it and what you think of this news item.

15 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

Good to catch up with your life. I can imagine how pleased you must be to have your daughter home. Didn't hear that piece on the news - how fascinating, I bet someone on this site can help you if you're thinking of taking it up!

Unknown said...

Shame things didn't work out for Sophie and M in Spain ... but it must be lovely for you to have her home again. Really felt for her having to give up the dog. It must have been really hard for her. Sorry, I didn't see the news either, but how wonderful if it is true.

Norma Murray said...

I'm not sure about the fly fishing but know that walking, and exercise and being at one with nature is a sure fire help on the road to recovery.

toady said...

You'll have to get yourself a copy of Fly Fishing by J R Hartley! Sorry that you're daughter is having to come home but she's lucky that Mum and Dad are here for her.
Toady

Anonymous said...

I saw the news report too and have to say it had me hooked..

I do hope Sophie will be okay. Lots of TLC and molly coddling will be in order I am sure.

Have a lovely time with her.

Crystal xx

Elizabethd said...

What a shame that the dream hasnt worked. I'm sure there will be another adventure! Nice to have her home.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Oh I can feel the relief ready to flood through when they arrive home. Poor Sophie - how sad having to party with lucky.

Hope life turns onto a positive note for them.

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Ah you need that book by J R Hartley!!!! Tried it with yongest and we caught to beech tree branches and a large dose of turminal boredom not i think a childs sport!!

Suffolkmum said...

Sorry Spain didn't work out for Sophie - she needs a bit of breathing space with her Mum I think! Fascinating about the fly fishing.

Casdok said...

Hope your baby gets home safe.
xx

CAMILLA said...

Hello Dear Muddie,

Your daughter Sophie is probably home by now, what a worry for you and I know that you just want everything to run smoothly, and to know that she will be alright, your baby.

I really feel for Sohphie about having to re-home the dog, at least she will hopefully go to a good home, although I can understand how she must be feeling, I would be exactly the same.

My Son-in-law is a keen fisherman, and it is part of his job, he is Fisheries Manager. I will ask him for some tips for you, interesting about how this may be able to help Muddie. I used to go fishing with my husband many years ago here in Norfolk.

Camilla.xx

Casdok said...

http://www.womensflyfishing.net/cfr2.htm

Cait O'Connor said...

I would recommend yoga rather than fishing. I do my 'Prayers to the Sun' every morning & being in nature of course is healing. There are lots of celebrity fishermen in your locality though...

snailbeachshepherdess said...

hello Muddie..lovely to find you again...like you now I'm back at work i scarely have time to blog! Shame it didnt work out for Sophie and M in Spain...but at least they gave it a go! Have tried fly fishing once ...many years ago...never got the hang of it I'm afraid...spent far too long untangling the line and myself from various trees!!

DJ Kirkby said...

Happy for you that S is coming home but what a shame about the dog, would have been nice to bring him with her, eh? I can see the reasoning behind the fly fishing but you would need to cast with the arm closest to the side affected by surgery and also you wouldnt be able to fish until the surgery had healed which can be months with radiotherapy can't it?