Friday 12 February 2010

Valentine's Joy & disappointment

Valentine's as a child was always a fun event. Father Valentine wouldcome round after dark and knock on the door and leave little presents. Each time there was a knock at the door my sister and I would run to the door and open it, no one would be there, but we'd look down and there would be a little package one for each of us. This would go on for 6-7 times and each time there would be a small gift.

I don't know where this tradition started, I was brought up in Norfolk and many seem to do it there, but hardly any one I know down here in the South of England has ever heard of it.

I continued the tradition for my children and they loved it, now my daughter intends to carry it on with her daughter as she gets older.

As a teenager Valentine's was a dreaded date to avoid. I was a very romantic soul and used to day dream alot about romantic gestures that boys might make but never did. I never received any Valentine Cards, it was such a disappointment to get home from school and see that the post man had not delivered any cards, doubly so as my younger sister usually got some!

My hubby is not the most romantic either, he's the type that says I was going to get you some flowers today, but I didn't get chance to...........story of my life!

Wendy Cope sums it up well in her little poem

Some men never think of it
You did. You'd come along
And say you'd nearly brought me flowers
But something had gone wrong

The shop was closed. Or you had doubts -
The sort that minds like ours
Dream up incessantly. You thought
I might not want your flowers

It made me smile and hug you then.
Now I can only smile
But look, the flowers you nearly brought
Have lasted all this while.


I've given up on romance and go for the unconditional love I get from my dogs now!!

4 comments:

Tattieweasle said...

I think I'll join you! Dear Charlie has not a romantic bone in his body...ah me....

citymouse said...

I've never heard about that custom, but of course I am in the US. I think it's adorable. Here, Valentine's Day is celebrated by kids in school with parties and they exchange little cards. Of course, those who have "someone" are expected to exchange something... cards, flowers, chocolates, etc. It's also a big dinner date night. My husband hates Valentine's Day because he feels pressured to deliver. I could let him off the hook, but I don't!

CAMILLA said...

Hi Elaine.!

Have always loved that idea of little presents left for our children on Valentine's Day.

I am a romantic too, sadly my HL is not the least bit romantic.

Love that Poem by Wendy Cope, came across this poem last year and have always remembered it.

CAMILLA said...

Forgot to mention Elaine, love the picture of your two dogs, think my little JRT will get all my Valentine kisses.!

xx