Monday 9 June 2008

One of those special moments


I have just come back from running one of my residential short breaks for families that I work with in Sussex. Lampworkbeader knows where I've been as it's close to her. It's the most amazing big old house with wonderful facilities for children and adults to relax and play safely. On this occasion the majority of children all had some form of Autistic Spectrum disorders,mostly on the high functioning end, Aspergers types. You might think this would be a recipe for disaster but it was amazing how well the boys interacted and seemed to understand one another and give space to each other when they were getting frustrated and upset.

The weather was perfect so the play leader was able to take the children on the boating pond and on the zip wire. One young lad had never been on a boat before and by the end of the afternoon he was paddling around in the kayake with great expertise!

It was quite hard work for my colleague and I because basically we had to produce three meals each day for 22 people and keep everything running smoothly, so not much time for sitting and relaxing for us. But we did have the help of a couple of very kind volunteers to help with the main meal each day.

Saturday evening we had a BBQ, we roped the men in to help with the cooking, it's funny isn't it how men love to BBQ but don't normally involve themselves in kitchen activities otherwise!

Now some of the boys had found the spot in the garden where camp fires could be lit and one boy was determined we should have a camp fire. So it was agreed that once it got darker we would light the fire, we sent the boys out to collect wood and twigs, which they did with great jubilation. Soon we had a huge pile of logs and twigs and got the fire lit. To start with it was just my colleagues and some of the boys enjoying the fire but as the evening drew on more adults came to join us and one Dad had his guitar, he sat next to me and started playing. He was very good, he could play by air many of my favourite songs from the 60's,70's and 80's as well as some we sing in church. So as he got into his playing I started singing quietly, neither of us were very good at remembering words, but we muddled through.I'd had afew glasses of wine so pretty relaxed and just enjoying reliving some of my youth through songs. He asked me to suggest something I knew , I suggested one of my favourites "Will you " by Hazel O'conner, he asked me to sing it, so there I am singing to him " You drink your coffeee and I sip my tea, and we're sitting here, playing so cool, thinking what will be will be......", but he doesn't know it,but wishes he does and suggests something else We start on Beatles songs and after a while I realised the others had stopped talking and were listening to us, so i encouraged them to join in, we had a good go at The Streets of London, Hey Jude, Yellow Submarine and a Snow Patrol one. It was one of those warm fuzzy moments when you just want the moment to go on forever. Those moments don't come very often these days, but it is one that I will treasure in my memory for ever.

There is something about that closeness, that connection, of being played to and singing with that really moved me. You could feel the electricity in the air.

It brought back a delightful memory of when I was 18 and going off to Switzerland to see my cousin and work for 2 months. I had to catch a train from Norwich at 11.30pm to Liverpool St Station and then cross London to get to Gatwick, all over night.My parents carefully put me in a carriage with another woman, but she got out at Ipswich and a young man got in. We got talking, he was going to Bournmouth to be a Life Guard on the beach for the summer, but he was also a singer in a local band and after a while he started to sing to me, all sorts of songs from the 60's mostly, he did know all the words! He sang so beautifully and it was so moving to be serenanded like that. When we reached London, he wouldn't leave me on my own and agreed to wait with me with me until the underground opened at 5.30am, so there we sat in Liverpool Street station with him singing quietly to me all these wonderful old songs. Once the Underground opened, we hugged and kissed Goodbye and went our separate ways, never to meet again.It was so romantic and a real warm fuzzy moment that I've never ever forgotten or been able to match until this weekend.
Just one moment in time.

Would anyone else like to share one of their own warm and fuzzy moments with us?

18 comments:

Claire said...

I can't conjur up a special cosy moment right now but just wanted to say what a very nice blog you write. Thank you. I will visit again soon.

Elizabethd said...

What lovely memories to look back on.

Chris Stovell said...

Ooh, that all sounds very spine-tingling, Muddie. It all happens to you, doesn't it? I think my warm fuzzy moments need to remain in the mists of time!

Frances said...

How wonderful that those boys suggested the campfire.

What a beautifully written post, Muddie. I know that you must have worked very hard to create the weekend for the families. Then, to have a really unexpected magical evening develop. Wow. Wish that I could have heard you sing, too.

xo

Anonymous said...

That was so lovely, a moment to treasure for sure. Your weekend does sound fun and very hectic. It's wonderful when children with special needs get together, they do seem to understand eachother in a telepathic sort of way.

Crystal xx

Exmoorjane said...

Yes, totally agree that there is something about singing and guitar playing that touches the soul, particularly when it's spontaneous like that. One of the main reasons I wanted James to learn to play guitar (also selfishly because it doesn't sound as awful as violins and trumpets when you're learning!). I have a lot of great memories of those sorts of occasions - particularly one party where someone just picked up a guitar and sang 'Yellow' - the hubbub of noise shrank away and everyone just listened....beautiful.
It sounds like a wonderful (if tiring) weekend.

Inthemud said...

Yes, I wish a member of my family would learn guitar, Lucy sort of tried but gave up.
Great memory Jane. I like "Yellow" too.

Norma Murray said...

ooh! I walked past on Saturday afternoon and didn't even realise you were there. It sounds like a wonderful weekend...You are a star.

Cait O'Connor said...

I know just what you mean. S, my son plays guitar, writes his own songs and sings and there is nothing like live music is there.
You must have worked very hard to make such a lovely weekend for the children.
What a special blog.
You deserve that bouquet of flowers.

Inthemud said...

Oh LWB I should have told you I'd be there and you could have popped in for a cup of tea.

i'll be going again towards the end of July

mountainear said...

What a wonderful weekend. There's something special about sitting in the dark round a fire outdoors - warm at the front and cold on the back.

Live/real music is always pretty magic too.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Oh both moments were so lovely. And I take my hat off to you (well I would if I wore one) for being part of a wonderful weekend - I bet there will be many people from that weekend with congruent memories.

Sam Fox said...

Great stuff, Muddie. So glad you came away with a speciall memory.

Casdok said...

Lovely to hear thast it was a great success. Well done you!

Faith said...

Mmmm Muddie sounds lovely but don't get too carried away with your romantic singer - think of Stan sitting in his old armchair at home! (wink). When I was a little girl and staying at my sister and bro-in-laws farm we had an impromptu camp fire and guitar singing with a group of neighbours and I've never forgotten it. As to my own warm fuzzy moments, well I suppose there's been many but can't think at the mo. Sounds like you made a very special weekend for all those kids, it must have been very hard work.

Inthemud said...

No I won't get carried away with the romantic singer, lovely as it was, he and his wife are devoted to one another and I have my dear Stan and his old chair! And Stan showed he's got a bit of romance by bringing me flowers yesterday, just wish he could play guitar!!

CAMILLA said...

Hi Elaine,

A lovely post, and I know as you are so caring, that you would have made everything so special for weekend away with those families.

Your Stan is so kind by giving you flowers, and you deserve them, how romantic.!!

Camilla.xx

MrsJ said...

One of my all time favourites is "Will you " by Hazel O'conner.

You are the first person I have ever come across who actually knows the song!

I am now going to put on my LP (yes, I am THAT old!) from Breaking Glass and sing along.

An early memory is of my big brother popping home from Uni with a friend who played the guitar. I was about 4 years old and our whole family sat up late sing - I particularly remember him teaching us all the verses of 'She'll Be Coming Round the Mountain'. Peter was a wonderful person who sadly was very ill with kidney disease and died not long after graduating.

A sad, but yet great memory.