Thursday 26 June 2008

Fruit Picking time


This time of the year always takes me back to my childhood and the long hot summers of child labour in the Strawberry picking fields of Norfolk.( They start working young there) I think I was about 8 the first time my best friend's mum took us fruit picking. I carried on doing it every summer till I was 16, then I could get a proper job! We did all kinds of picking, starting with strawberries, on to Goosberries and Raspberries and finished with Black currants, this would take us almost through the school holidays, usually finishing in time for family holiday at the end of August.

There were several big farms in the area and they all relied on casual labour to get their fruit picked. The biggest farm was an international employer, they had students from all over europe, they put them up in old converted chicken huts, fed and watered them and they would pick from dawn to dusk to make a few pounds to take back to their home countries. Very reminicent of the "Two Caravans" by Marina Lewycha, which I read recently. we only went to that farm when all the others were done.

We would make our sandwiches, I can still smell that awful sandwich spread stuff that looks like vomit, take a few biscuits and a bottle of pop and an old transistor radio. We'd jump on our bikes and ride off to the nearest picking field, could be up to 5 miles away. There was usually a group of women plus us few children.

On arrival at the Strawberry field we'd search out the boss man and ask if we could pick, usually this would be ok and we'd be found some rows to get started on. We'd take a handful of punnets , wrap plastic bags roundour knees and get down in the straw strewn rows. We'd pick and pick till we filled our punnets, usually the first day of the year we'd eat loads too, but to be honest after that the smell and thought of strawberries becomes repulsive so you don't need to eat anymore. If the strawberries were going for jam we'd have to tail them, but if they were going for sale to the public then the stalks are left on. It's harder to pick them taking stalk off as you end up squidging them!


The frustrating thing about being a child picker was they often put you on a row that had already been picked recently, so there are fewer strawberries and you are scuttling up the row on your knees. I'd get home and my knees would be red and sore! We'd always have a radio on and listen to Radio One as we picked, though one year at the International Place I left my tranny in the bush and went to get my fruit weighed when i came back someone had pinched it, I never got it back.

Money wasn't good, but when you were young any money was beter than no money. Some of the women were amazingly fast pickers and they'd earn a fortune. I'd make a £1 or £2 if I was lucky! In later years on a good day I could make about £5-£10 depending on crop. I kept all thr totals in a ledger, I still have it somewhere, I must get it out and have a look!

As a teenager Fashion was all important and impressing the boys a must! Mid 1970's halter necks were very in, so I remember going fruit picking in my old jeans, wearing a black halter neck top and a red and white spotted scarf, thinking I looked "the business"!

One year I had a huge crush on my friend's brother. He didn't usually come picking but this year he did and for whatever reason, I cannot remember my friend wasn't able to come so me and Paul went together. We biked there together, we shared a row together, we had our lunch together. I felt so sick with fancying him, I couldn't eat a thing! I nearly swooned when our hands touched through the black current bush!

The next day my friend was back and she could see there was "something going on" between the 2 of us and she was understandably annoyed. For a few days I was totally besotted with Paul, but then he stopped coming, slowly the sicky feeling subsided and I started eating again, I got over him and moved on!

Fruit picking fields and Love seemed to go hand in hand. I remember my other friend's eldest sister used to come , she never did much picking as her motorbike boyfriend used to come too and they just find a quiet place in the field to make out! Till the boss came along and shouted at them to get back to work!

The sun always shone every summer I'm sure of it. I guess if it was raining we just didn't go. But it did always seem to be hot and I'd burn myself specially wearing my halter neck tops!!

One summer '76, was extrememly hot, but then '77 was loads of thunderstorms, so we'd go picking but end up having to shelter as the rain pelted down. I must admit by '77 I was finding it all rather a bore and was desperate to get a proper job, so that year, we did skive off , just me and my friend Sally, we'd go off on our bikes and go to the beach or visit churches, we liked churches, we'd go round the grave yards reading the headstones. didn't earn much that summer. But I didn't have a great need either, two years earlier I'd worked really hard to save money to buy my pony a new saddle but on 31 December 76 he died and my life as I knew came to an end.

But as my uncle said at the time " You'll have more time for boys now" and of course he was right, but it didn't take the pain away.

13 comments:

Exmoorjane said...

Oh that blog is heavy with nostalgia, Elaine. I could smell those strawberries! But heck, that was a tough way to earn some pennies. I was working in a kennels those summers you mention - my knees were OK but, by heck, I suspect your work smelled sweeter by far.

Elizabethd said...

I can remember doing similar picking way back in the 60s but it was primroses. We would bunch them and they were sent off to Covent garden. It wasnt hard and we were paid 6 old pence for a box!

Blossomcottage said...

What a lovely blog, we have lots of strawberry field around here, I have never worked in them but I have done some large pick your own jaunts and that was bad enough.
I know how you feel when your beloved pony passes, on life is never quite the same again.
Thanks for the memories. Brilliant.
Blossom

Sally Townsend said...

What a lovely blog indeed, I was a grower in a former life and HL was the king of blackcurrants ! Many many happy hours spent dozing on top of the harvester as it droned up and down the rows and the men swore on the back. Very character building, as for the rows of strawberries and raspberries, I loved every plant I ever grew !!

Norma Murray said...

Lovely slice of nostalgia, Muddy. I can still remember hands stained navy blue from picking blackcurrants and making myself ill through eating strawberries.

Frances said...

Elaine, I so enjoyed reading this!
You have such a fine way of capturing a particular time and place, giving details that really paint the picture.

I guess that children no longer go fruit picking? Maybe now it's all big commercial picking forces. Over here, there are lots of places that families go to "pick their own" as sort of a lark for a day. That is a very different experience from what you remember.

xo

Inthemud said...

Hi Frances,
Fruit picking: It's nearly all done by machines now, they just go up and down the rows stripping the plants. Only Pick your own for children these days!

Yes LWB I'd forgotten the blackcurrant stain on hands, would last for days!

Sally, fancy that you HL King of the Blackcurrants! Sounds like you had the machines. I was quite upset when the machines came in and took away the jobs from people who needed the money and children. And they left the bush and plants wrecked, horrble carnage!

Elizabethd, never heard of picking primroses for money, how lovely that must have been!

Oh EJ, working in kennels in that heat!! Poor you!

Blossom, i'll have to come to visit the strawberry fields near you,just to get the smell again!!

Chris Stovell said...

I've just caught up with your last few posts including the 'How I met...' now I used to live on Epsom Downs so it makes me wonder!

Frances said...

Hello again, Elaine, and thank you for your reply. This is just the sort of exchange of thoughts that makes me such a fan of this neighborhood.

I forgot to write this morning just how beautiful were those photos of your garden.

xo

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

I was in work proper in 76 and 77 - but your blog brought back memories of pea picking when I was a kid and strawberries.

Funny how love and fruit picking got all tangled up - those were the days . . .

I have never owned a horse, but can empathise with the pain - especially tough when you are young . . . but then again there are those boys . . .

blogthatmama said...

Aah, takes me back to the strawberry fields of Kent and my sister being sacked from her first ever job as a strawberry picker for not turning up for work after an all night party. I like the sound of that scarf and the halter neck top - the bees knees!

Fennie said...

What a fabulous nostalgic blog. I've only picked for the house, but I imagine it must be extremely hard work, especially as I would be one of the slow ones. I remember that long hot summer of 76, when there were droughts all over and you had to bath with a friend. Thanks for all the memories.

CAMILLA said...

Hello Elaine,

What a lovely blog, first time I picked fruit was when I came to Norfolk. It was in the woods at Wells, my children were about 6 & 5they each would pick with me and pop into little wicker baskets.

Thank you for sharing those memories with us Elaine, and what lovely flowers to your blog.

xx