Thursday 22 May 2008

My Garden in May


Last month I posted some photos of what flowers were blooming in April, I've just gone round to see what is out now and taken a few more photos.
Mine is a Woodland Garden and so Rhododendrons and Azaleas flourish in the acidic soil. I had feared that the Wisteria had been frost damaged as it was very late getting any flowers but there are somethough not as many as some years.





Also a beautiful clump of Irises and poppies in abundance.




A few roses are coming out and clematises at differing stages. There is so much colour, such a joyful time in the garden. The bright yellow of the Laburnum tree is stunning.

I was very disappointed to see that my Bramley apple tree has died , it was only 4 years old, I think rabbits have damaged it, I thought I'd protected it but may have been too late. The other fruit trees are doing well though, the Gala Apple ,the Pear and Plum tree look strong and healthy.

I'm not a good gardener, plants have to take their chances......survive or not survive. But I still love to see the beauty of nature ...no thanks to me!

11 comments:

Elizabethd said...

How beautiful!I love this time of year, so much colour is beginning to replace drab flower beds. My clematis are going full bore, and the geraniums are taking off very well. We havent done well with Rhodies this year though

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous flowers. I so wish I was better at gardening. I rely on the garden centre too much!

CJ xx

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Sounds like my sort of gardening. Bun gthem in and hope they prosper. Bu tlook at your results ! Stunning!

Milla said...

those poppies in particular grab my attention.

Frances said...

Elaine, these pictures of your garden are so lovely. I do like you notion of not babying the plants. Yours seem to flourish with whatever care you have given them. (Don't know what to say about rabbits and apple trees, because I know absolutely nothing about what rabbits can do, except reproduce.)

xo

abcd said...

Beautiful photos and garden. Woodland gardens are my favourite.
We share the same acid soil, mine is very heavy clay.
I am very envious of your wisteria.

Edward said...

A lovely garden and great photos. Don't be so hard on yourself - a good gardener is judged by the garden, and yours is fab.

Helen said...

Beautiful garden - wonderful flowers. Will have to arrange my next photoshoot in your garden!!

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Lovely pictures. Especially the poppies - I do love poppies.

Our rhodeys are flowering now - I did wonder if they would as two years running they flowered again in November . . .

I am of the bung them in and hope persuasion . . . for some reason I can't grow Lavender, or Rosemary - either in pots, or in the ground . . .

DJ Kirkby said...

You have such a beautiful garden! I adore poppies and wisteria. We bought a poppy plant yesterday which has several colour of flowers growing at the same time, very nice.

CAMILLA said...

Hello Muddie,

Such lovely flowers in your garden, gorgeous pictures.

My HL hacked my Wisteria down by pruning 2 years ago, thought I had lost it, it appears to have grown profusely again thankgoodness, only problem is there are no flowers on it, think they should be in bloom by now.

I like the idea of a Woodland Garden, and I adore Poppies.

Camilla.xx