Tuesday 6 May 2008

It's not the winning...............

But the taking part!

Bex was not placed at The Final of Miss West Sussex, but she thoroughly enjoyed the experience and she met lots of lovely young women. But her very good friend Alex came second overall and we were highly delighted, she certainly deserved it!

We arrived at Fontwell Park racecourse at 1.30pm, it was a hive of activity. People running this way and that, sound checks on stage, "One , Two, One Two", the men looked up and shouted approval as Bex and Alex walked passed then to their marquee.

In the marquee girls were already sitting at tables discussing hair and make up.
We confirmed our arrival and the process began.
First discuss how they'd like hair and make up, what colour outfits were to be worn, did they have their own foundation, did they want false eye lashes and so on and so on.

I had to rush off to do the school run so left bex with her boyfriend, he loves the horse racing so was pleased to have a Premier pass to get into the grandstand, so he wandered off to have a look whilst the girls were preparing!

Collected Lucy, managed to get stan home early and then we all set off back for Fontwell, by now every thing was in full swing, horses every where, people flocking through the gates.

Then I spotted her.....Jilly Cooper...... she was just coming across the grass to take her place on the stage as one of the judges. I just adore her and have read all her books, have been a huge fan for years but now I could see her in real life and she looked fantastic. Later on I was standing beside her as we watched the races, she was with Honeysuckle Weeks, the actress from Foyles war, people were going up to Jilly asking for autographs and having their photo taken with her. I wanted to, but I held back, and didn't feel I could voist myself on her, it seemed an imposition, so i just stood near and watched.


The Racing began , the Beauty Pageant was interspersed between each race, so here was lots of tooing and frooing, from race course to Stage area to watch the Girls on stage.
The first Round was an eco friendly round, when the girls wore things that were recycled or second hand or Fair Traid


Becky wore an outfit that had been made by her sister some years ago. So second hand.



There were allsorts of interersting and unusual outfits!

The next round was "A Day at the Races". I managed to find a big formal hat on ebay, and Bex looked very much the part!



The final round was the Evening gowns, all gilrs were asked to change into their evening wear but whilst still in the marquee the Final Five were announced and those not in the final were taken for a photo with the compere and then were allowed to get changed again whilst the Final Five went on stage for the winners to be announced.




And there were winners and losers on the race course too, Bex current boyfriend made a profit of £120! and her old boyfriend lost £300!!

We all retired home exhausted but happy. It had been a long day but a lot of fun.

9 comments:

Milla said...

she looks adorable and most importantly had the nerves (as well as the looks!) to take part. Well done to her, and Alex, and Bex's boyfriend! Phew, is that all covered?? She reminds me of someone whom I can't remember now (flattering, worry not) but when I do, if I do, I'll say! I was in the train behind Jilly C and her husband once, shortly after all that mistress stuff broke out. She seemed very sweet but desperately irritating with a lot of pfaffing about sitting or not sitting, standing up too soon, or not, or missing "it" or whatever and should the bag go in the overhead rack or by their feet and did he want the window, or should she, only she didn't mind and ... and... and all extremely fluffy hair-wise which sort of makes you stare though you wish you wouldn't. Sadly, overall I was rather surprised he hadn't slaughtered her. I suppose taking a mistress was easier, but I feel mean now since I did like all those Octavia books. And how tall was Honeysuckle Weekes, I do rather like her. Suits the oh rather, sir, spiffing, character to a tee.

Inthemud said...

Milla,

Yes, I'd forgotten about the mistress stuff. The hair is rather fluffy still, but it looks so soft and thick, she looked pretty good.

Honeysuckle appeared to be of average height, about same as Jilly. Not too good on guessing, maybe 5' 5".

Wonder who you think Bex reminds you of?

Milla said...

ah!!! Have just remembered! It's Kate (the pretty one) from Lost! Of course it might all be a photograph thing, but there's something about the smile when it's a shy smile. thank goodness for that.

Inthemud said...

Ah, Lost! Now I never watched that, so sadly do not know who Kate is.
Will have to have a look and see if i can find picture somewhere.

Shy smiles, very Lady Di!

DevonLife said...

Yes Kate from Lost! The one with the green t-shirt which never got dirty. She does look like her.

I love the idea of all that dressing up, is there a category for thirty uugggghh year olds?

Inthemud said...

Actually Devonlife I gather there is a contest for let's say the more mature woman! I wasstanding beside a woman who came to the race course regularly and she said there had been a contest for the Best Dressed woman in Sussex last year!

Norma Murray said...

It takes such a lot of courage to enter these competitions. Well done Bex! I thinks she's a stunner.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Now that sounded like a really good day out - oooo I bet she was nervous though. And you got that close to Jilly, but no autograph . . . I bet she would have appreciated your consideration. I know she didn't win, but what a wonderful memory of all the excitement.

CAMILLA said...

Hi Muddie,

Well I say well done to Bex even if she did not win,can be pretty nerve racking, even so, Bex is GORGEOUS and I hope that she will keep on entering the Competitions.

Would have loved to have seen and spoke with Jilly Cooper, just love her to bits, she comes across as a really lovely genuine person.

A truly memorable day for you Muddie.

Camilla.xx