Monday 21 April 2008

Out with the old and in with the new, well almost!

Last Thursday was a momentous occasion. The delivery of my new leather sofas.
I'd been waiting for 3 months since i ordered them at the beginning of January. They warned me it would take 12 weeks and it was 12 weeks and 4 days until they arrived!

Some of you may remember that I had discussed wanting new sofas last summer after we were flooded. The old ones were not damaged in the flood but were getting on a bit, i think we'd had them since 1995, which may not seem like a long time to some people (certainly not to hubby Stan) , but it felt like a long time to me . They old sofas were never that comfortable , the cushions slipped off and you'd find yourself sitting in a hole.

I have had to endure constant ridicule from stan ever since i ordered the new sofas, he really doesn't see the point at all.

Let me show you his chair. His chair was new about 1981, it is a leather recliner. It used to look very smart now it is ripped and worn. BUT he will not let me replace it


I cover it with a throw to make it reasonably acceptable. Don't get me wrong it is a very comfortable chair, every one want to sit in it, BUT it looks dreadful.

Back in the old days when we lived in Reigate and had lodgers, there was always a fight to get to sit in THE CHAIR. It was Stan's chair and wobetide anyone else who sat in it, if they didn't get up as soon as he wanted to sit down. One lodger, our dear friedn K, who we still see and laugh over this with,used to dare to stay put and challenge Stan. Brave woman! But she did go to the pub with him so he put up with it!

Now the positioning of the chair is crucial. It has to be exactly opposite the television, not at an angle ,in a true straight line of vision to the Television. Wherever we have lived Stan's cahir and the TV have to be placed first and then other furniture placed around them! Which means my view of the TV is often marred as not in direct line!

In the run up to the delivery of my new sofas, I had to think about disposal of my old ones. I contacted our local Recycling centre and asked if they would like the sofas, i told them they were a bit worn, but fulfilled all the fire regs etc. They agreed that they would like the sofas and a day was set for collection.
They came a day early and i was in Somerset so Bex had to deal with them, the dogs had pulled the cushions off and so they looked floppy. The man told Bex that the sofas were too worn. MY SOFAS WERE TOO WORN TO GIVE TO ANYONE ELSE!! ANd Stan had told me they were fine and I didn't need new ones! I felt vindicated! Though a little miffed.

Luckily a friend with a van was able to take them to the local dump.

The day of the delivery arrived. I was very excited, but also quite nervous, supposing after 3 months they arrived and I didn't like them! Supposing they don't fit in the room. Panic set in.

The delivery arrived. The sofas, only 2 Two Seater and a pouffe , were huge compared to how they looked in the shop. But the men got them in, put the feet on and placed them where I asked. They looked beauitful. I was so pleased. Here they are:



They are so comfy and the cushions don't collapse when you sit on them.


Stan tried to ignore them, but rather difficult when they take up the whole room and grudgingly he admitted they were rather nice!

But he will keep his chair as long as he lives or until it collapses!!

Anyone else have a piece of furniture they are so attched to?

21 comments:

Elizabethd said...

Well, dont they look good! Isnt it funny how men cling to things, be it chaits, favourite shirts, old slippers....

You will so enjoy curling up on one of those sofas, or maybe even stretchiong out on them!

Inthemud said...

Yes, indeed, I stretch out on them!!

mountainear said...

They really suit the room and look exceedingly comfy - could stretch out there myself.

could Stan's chair be recovered?

Anonymous said...

They look so beautiful!! I love how they look. My husband is very fond of a chair, oversized, that should have been tossed out years ago. Very comfy, but it was once white (pre-children days). Now it is just stained and the dog jumps on it and I throw a sheet over it, but it always falls off. I am going to have to be firm. I almost don't like having people over because of it!!! He is so stubborn, it has to be almost 18 years old!!
Enjoy your new stuff, it really looks wonderful.
XOXO

Pondside said...

Gorgeous and soft looking! You must be so pleased! The Great Dane is pretty easy-going about furniture, although last year we bought two very modern-looking, ergonomically correct chairs. They don't look like anything else in the house, but are they comfortable!

Inthemud said...

Mountainear, I could have Stan's Chair covered but he's not keen to spend the money!! Skin flint!!

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Hi found my way here from the wonderfful Eileen's blog. Loved this story about the new suite. We bought a new one about three years ago and paid several thousand pounds for it. We'd had a beige velour covered suite befoe and it was always needing washing as we have two cheeky dogs and a fat old cat that lie all over it. So we bought a fab leather one that can be wiped down. The chairs are the most amazing recliners we have ever sat in and my husband and I quite often end up napping in them after a visit to our local inn on a Friday night! I plan to keep it for any years hence the fact we paid so much for it as I can't bear chucking stuff out for the sake of it.

Three 'musts' in life - a good pair of comfortable shoes, a bed that feels like you are sleeping on clouds and a suite that lets you sink deep for maximum relaxatio! If your not in one, then you are in t'other!

I enjoyed your post very much.

Chris Stovell said...

It's strange how sofas grow between the show room and home! Yours fit in very well though.

DJ Kirkby said...

Really gorgeous! I want new furniture now!

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Oh dont they look grand ! Lucky you adn fancy charity being so rude about your old ones!!

Faith said...

They look GREAT Muddie! having visited Muddie's home I can tell you I have seen Stan's chair 'in the flesh' but it is covered with a faux fur throw and looks really cosy! Stan and my husband would get on well I'm sure - mine has a certain chair that no'one else can sit in and its in line with the TV. Ah well, we minions, just have to fit round don't we. Very envious of your new suite Muddie!

Norma Murray said...

The new sofas are very classy! Hasn't he got a nice draughty shed where he can take his old chair?

Zoƫ said...

They look fabulous Muddie

My iGit has an armchair that was 'made to measure'in the village here by Armstrong Levine when we first moved here and it's been rescued, restuffed and recovered a couple of times since. Nothing he finds in the shops is as comforable.

bodran... said...

They look lovely.We have an old chair and an old sofa which i won't part with even though the house is cluttered When the house is bigger they will fit!! x

Moley-Bloke said...

What's wrong with the chair? Top comfy looking.. You see, it will be bum shaped and snuggly... :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, Wow and double wow - absolutely gorgeous sofa's. I love leather, we have a leather 3 piece in the lounge.

Trust a man to want his chair just so! Enjoy the new luxury, it's been a long wait!

Crystal xx

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Lovely lovely sofas. But I do understand about the old comfy chair - I gave mine away and am now really sorry I did.

Inthemud said...

I rather agree with LWB, I should take it out to Stan's workshop and maybe even put a TV in there for him too!

Edward said...

Wow, that husband's favourite seat has seen better days! We have some new leather sofas too - but they're still wrapped up as I haven't finished the decorating yet. Let's hope you're spared any more flooding.

Maggie Christie said...

Gosh they look lovely! Really comfortable, but stylish too. Perfect.

My grandfather had an old leather chair he was really attached to. He was called Stan too!

CAMILLA said...

Hi Muddie,

Your new sofa's look fab, pleased that you have finaly got them.

We have a very ancient Chesterfield in sitting room, really needs recovering, HL said it needs throwing out, but I love it, huge and sumptious, amd is comfortable.

Your room looks so cosy Muddie, my HL is just the same, he has to have seat in line in front of telly, I'm sure the remote control is strapped to his hand.!

Camilla.xx