Tuesday 15 April 2008

Garden bloggers bloom day

Camellia

Having read Zoe's blog and seen her beautiful Gentians I thought I'd take a wander in my garden to see what is flowering and do May Dream's Garden Bloggers Bloom Day Meme. The daffodils are beginning to go over, leaving the more interesting Narcissis, Some tulips are out , others just coming, The camellias are fading, but i managed to find one still blooming beautifully and the rhododendrons are still to come.The Hellebores are still going strong with plenty of flowers this year. The bluebells that fill my wood are just beginning to flower. My one and only Bleeding Heart caught the frost last weekend when it snowed and has, I fear, died for this year, having come out early.

I'm not too good on plant names, so I have not named everything. if you know what something is called do tell me!!

1)Primroses





2)Hellebore


3)Grape Hyacinth


4)Candy tuft( Iberis Sempervivium)

5) Bluebells


6)Japonica



7)
Broome


8)Magnolia Stelatta

9)Narcissis



10)Tulips



11)Kerria Japonica


12)Stargazer?




13)Wallflower

Crab apple Blossom

Cherry tree blossom

I do love the Spring, and it does feel like it has been a long winter and things do seem later this year than last, but more as they should be , I guess. The Spring brings such joy to my heart to see the flowers bursting out in colour all over the garden.

Thought I would finish with Wordsworth's famous poem

I WANDERED lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host of golden daffodils;

Beside the lake, beneath the trees,

Fluttering and dancing in the breeze. -

Continuous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the milky way,

They stretched in never-ending line

Along the margin of a bay:

Ten thousand saw I at a glance,

Tossing their heads in sprightly dance. -

The waves beside them danced, but they

Outdid the sparkling waves in glee:-

A poet could not but be gay,

In such a jocund company:

I gazed- and gazed- but little thought

What wealth the show to me had brought: -

For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude,

And then my heart with pleasure fills,

And dances with the daffodils. - -

13 comments:

Zoƫ said...

So pretty Elaine - I love that broom, bet it smells wonderful too.

Spring is such a great time isn't it.

Carol Michel said...

Beautiful poem and beautiful flowers. Your garden looks like it is at about the same phase as mine is, as far as the blooms.
Thanks for joining in for bloom day!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Elizabethd said...

Very pretty Spring garden.

Pipany said...

Morning Elaine - no.4 is perennial candytuft (iberis sempervivum I think) and is a fave of mine; so snowy white and gorgeous in the sun or shade isn't it? No.6 looks like a japonica ( chaenomoles japonica). Don't quote my spellings!!! xx

Inthemud said...

Thanks Pipany, that is helpful, will write them in now!

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

OOoooo flower envy - would you believe that most of our daffodils have yet to flower . . . . We are so behind this year and our summer won't extend to make up for it either.

Milla said...

11 is kerria japonica, yes to iberis, somewhere was a narcissus, but can't tell which - am sure Zoe will know and yes to Chaenomeles. Nice to see your pictures, and, more yes, it does all seem very slow this year.

Chris Stovell said...

Beautiful blog ... I think I've got some way to go on the gardening front. Too impatient!

abcd said...

Gorgeous fowers and one of my favourite poems. My garden is a bit behind yours. I hope we catch up soon though it will have to warm up, it's still freezing cold today!

Inthemud said...

Thank you Milla, that is really helpful, The Kerria Japonica I should have known, my mum has told me before but I forgot. It a plant I remember from childhood that grew between our house and grandad's house, we lived side by side!! So always fond of it and now have one at side of our cottage here.

Un Peu Loufoque said...

How wonderful to have so much in bloom already! I was once told Wordsworth sister was reputed to have written the poem and he nicked it? Well thats's siblings I suppose!!

Norma Murray said...

Wow Muddy. How lovely. Are they all still out now. My garden suffered really badly when it snowed. It finished off my daffs, though somehow the bleeding heart survived.

CAMILLA said...

Beautiful blog Muddie, and beautiful flowers too. I have Bleeding Hearts(Dutchman's Breeches) growing in garden, I planted them three years ago, have been lucky with them so far, when you think they have completely died off, they come up again each spring. They are in a sheltered part of the garden, I wonder if this is the answer why they keep reappearing.

I adore Camellia's, bought one last year in exactly the same colour of the one in the picture. Have never been lucky with Magnolia's, I am sure it is something to do with the soil here.

I love that Poem Muddie.

Camilla.xx