Wednesday 31 October 2007

A true ghost story


My Mother-in-law died in 1991 whilst on vacation in Australia, it was a terrible shock to us all as she was only 66 and had been in very good health.
My girls were 4 years old and 1 year old at the time of her death.
Grandma had abeen devoted to my eldest, Evie, and her and grandad used to look after the girls when i worked one day a week. It was the highlight of their week. Grandma was a tall, slim, elegant lady with short bobbed grey hair.
When grandad started planning the 3 month trip to Australia, Grandma wasn't keen to go. They had been out only 2 years earlier, but Grandad was on a mission. he had been born in Australia and wanted to know more of his early life. So they went, Grandma told me as she left that she still didn't want to go and leave us. That was the last time I saw her alive.
A few weeks later I was driving home from work and I suddenly felt very strange and this voice came into my head, the words I heard didn't make any sense. "It's alright, Don't be worried, I'll be with you".
I was confused, but put it to the back of my mind, till bed time, then I felt I must say something. Stan told me he had a sense of doom and gloom so I told him the starnge message I'd received in my head. He laughed of course.
But the next day the phone call came from Father -in -law in Australia saying that Grandma had been unwell, she'd gone to bed for a rest and when he went to see her, she had died in her sleep.
...................................................................................................................................................................
Fast forward to 1993
It's Christmas.
Grandad had spent the day with us, we had a had a lovely day. Evie and Sophie were now 6 & 3.
About 8.30pm Grandad left to go back to his home , the children got ready for bed.
Evie slept downstairs and Sophie was upstairs as we only had 2 bedrooms upstairs and Evie was determined she wouldn't share anymore with Sophie, so we had turned the dining room into a bedroom.
I settled Evie into her bed and went up to see how Sophie was getting on, Evie had barely been in her bed 5 minutes, when she screamed loudly and came rushing out of her room.
I stumbled down the stairs to see what the matter was, I thought spider, as she hates spiders, but when I asked her , she replied through tearful breathes, " There's a lady sitting on my bed!"
"Surely not "I said " What kind of lady?"
"A white lady " she said. I felt shivered go down my back.I hugged her and walked her into the bedroom, turning on the light and of course there was nothing there.
I asked her gently what the lady looked like-
"Sort of tall, with short white hair." Evie replied.
We all sat in the sitting room for a while, I was scared too, I really do think she had seen a ghost. She'd had no time to go to sleep, so it wasn't a dream.
Then I got it , It was Grandma, she had come to see Evie and wish her a Happy Christmas .
I told Evie it must have been grandma and she visibly relaxed, but she wouldn't sleep in the room that night, she came up with us.
The ghost lady never appeared again...................... But I'm sure it was Grandma, coming to check on us.

13 comments:

Posie said...

That sent shivers down my spine, but what a comforting blog at the same time. I had a similar experience years ago when our eldest was a baby, she was really poorly, and ended up in hospital, but one night at home I woke up, and saw the shadow of the happy farmer sitting beside me, on the edge of the bed, watching the cot,I woke with a start and asked what he was doing, the shadow just dissolved infront of my eyes, and there was the farmer asleep beside me.I definately saw the figure and am sure it was the ghost of the farmer's grandfather,who had the cut of the farmer, keeping watch over our precious bundle...so there's my halloween contribution. Posie

Suffolkmum said...

I agree with Posie, eerie but at the same time very comforting. I've never seen a ghost, but I have 'heard' messages in my head, very clearly, and in the exact voice of someone who had died, so I was interested to read of your message. I'm sure she's looking after your girls. Lovely to see you blogging again, I've had a bit of a hiatus too.

Faith said...

Ooh Muddie my hands went all cold reading that! Very interesting indeed. Also Posie's story!

Tattieweasle said...

I much prefer comforting stories - I am sure she is watching over you all - I know my Granny looks in on me. I can tell by the scent -bonkers I know...

Anonymous said...

I am sure it was Grandma too. What a wonderful thing to happen, however unnerving it must have been for your daughter. But she will look back on that experience and remember it for ever.

I do hope Grandma presents herself again to you, but rest assured, if she has manifested, there will be no doubt her Spirit visits you regularly. To me, that is a beautiful gift.

Thank you sharing it. Crystal xx

Frances said...

Elaine, That is a beautifully told ghost story. I do hope that lots of folks get to read it, as it is definitely conforting even as the shivers arise.

xo

Casdok said...

How lovely. Does sound like something a grandmother would do.

Cait O'Connor said...

Lovely. I have heard many similar stories, all are a comfort.

Norma Murray said...

I'm a bit of a sceptic but I am coming to believe that the elderly and very young can sometimes link into things that the rest of us don't see.
I did have a little shiver though.

CAMILLA said...

How lovely to think Muddie that it might be Grandmother that came that evening at Christmas time, even though it was a little frightening at the time for your daughter not knowing who the spirit was.

I remember when my Mother passed away, my children were only 6 and 5 years of age. She adored my children, so wished she could have lived a longer life to enoy them a little longer.

Camilla.xx

DJ Kirkby said...

Oooooh goosebumps, but not in a scary way...

Hannah Velten said...

Spine-tingling....but lovely that Grandma came back one last time to say 'good-bye' as best she could. A true ghost story for Halloween...Mootia x

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Wow, muddie - what a powerful story! I think children are sometimes very sensitive to these kinds of things - a bit unsettling though, I imagine.