Tuesday 17 March 2009

Breast or bottle?

When BB saw the Midwife the other day, I was most surprised that when BB said she wanted to Breast feed that the midwife sounded surprised as if it wasn't normal for young women to want to breast feed. She said nothing to encourage BB but just said "Oh, you want to breast feed then?" as if it was an alien suggestion.

Speaking to an American friend who is now living over here and is expecting her third child, she said that in the States she had no support whatsoever for breast feeding her first 2 children, it was just expected she'd bottle feed. But over here her Midwife is actively encouraging her to breast feed

I know not every one is able to breast feed but I do feel it gives the baby immunity if you are able to even for just a few weeks and of course it is very good for losing the post pregnancy weight gained.

BB has been closely following the media discussions about the damaging things Bisphenol A, or BPA that are in the plastic bottles, which can seep into the baby's milk & cause harm if you use a microwave or boiling water. She's even thinking of ordering glass bottles from USA ( they do lovely glass bottles covered with plastic safety coat in lots of colours) where they have already banned the plastic with the . Our govt is saying the levels are so low that not likely to cause harm, but how can they be sure. USA must know something we don't, if that's the case.

I breastfed my 3 girls, didn't do too well with eldest, but other 2 were on the breast for over 6 months until I had to return to work, but what a challenge it was to get them totake a bottle after having the breast so long, they weren't keen on the cups either, the poor child minder had a real struggle and sometimes I had to go round in my lunch hour to feed. But I also remember using bottles for the Progress milk and always heated them up in the microwave, without another thought. I hope I haven't left them with some long lasting damage.

What are your views ? Breast or Bottle? Toxic or Not?

7 comments:

Norma Murray said...

Breast is certainly cheaper and more convenient. Glad everything is going so well. Love to you all
Lampie

mountainear said...

Breast I think - as LWB says cheaper and more convenient. Important to remember though that sometimes things don't go to plan and that if one has to bottle feed it's not the end of the world; one hasn't failed.

Don't know about toxicity - there seems to be a scare about something different every week.

Carah Boden said...

Hi ITM, just catching up with you again after too long. What exciting news you have here! Those scan pictures are just so amazing, aren't they? Breast or bottle? Well, I did both, but it was different with all three babies: eldest was tiny so in those first few days it wasn't working very well so I used to sit for hours with her on the breast, then I had to weigh her, find she'd drunk virtually nothing, and then give her a bottle! It was all a bit of a palava but luckily I had the time as no other children to worry about. Second had huge gob (excuse my vulgarity!) and a great propensity to suck, so she LOVED the boob and it all went swimmingly till I tried to get her off it at around 8 months when I was off on a business trip with hubby. My poor mother. That child was VERY STUBBORN! Third child, did breast again but was careful to introduce bottle as well before 3 months - if you do that, and keep them used to it as well as the breast, then it is easier to wean them off. So, my advice is go with the breast if you can for all the health and bonding reasons, but do be careful to introduce the bottle after a month or so to save problems later. I used plastic bottles. All girls seem in equal health despite the different ways they were fed in those early months. I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks for popping by at mine and leaving a comment - I have responded re Cuckfield, bikes etc. Enjoy your day - at least I can imagine you there!

Quilting Cat said...

My daughter is breast feeding Phoebe who is 5 weeks old. There is fantastic support here in Dorset. Loads of visits at home from Midwives and although she was home after 3 days, not discharged from hospital care until 28 ndays. However, breast feeding is not as easy as it looks! Baby must make a big mouth, get that bottom lip onto nipple, if niples become sore, this is a sign that baby not latched on properly. The NCT and other charitable organisations also have groups your daughter can attend and there should be a breastfeeding workshop available before she has baby. Loads of stuff online also. My daughter still struggling and Phoebe does not sleep for long but gradually putting on weight. Can also recommend cranial osteopathy for baby as bones in head and neck have terrific pressure on them during birth and can cause discfomfort on neck so baby may not feed so well. As you can tell, I have become very involved in Phoebe's life! Good luck.

Suffolkmum said...

Breast for me with both, but I did get my husband to give them a bottle of expressed milk or often formula for the late night feed, so I could get to bed early and get a bit of sleep before the next feed, and they could get used to a bottle. I stopped breastfeeding my daughter at a younger age (4 months) than I had with my son - I was very tired and wanted a break, but then really regretted stopping. It's such an emotional thing.

CAMILLA said...

Hi Muddie,

I breast fed my first baby, my son for about three months, but then part bottled, and then part breast. When I gave birth to my next baby, my daughter, I asked for my milk to be dried up, as I was so exhausted after giving birth to my first baby... only 11 months gap between the two babies.

I used plastic bottles, and children grew up fine and healthy, the dried milk that I did use was SMA.

xx

Faith said...

I missed this when it went up. Definitely breast is best and good luck to your daughter. It's the most natural thing in the world if you want it to be. I breast fed mine, the eldest to one year.