Monday 12 October 2015

Empty nesting but still Life like "The Waltons" !

How can it be that the last time I wrote on my blog was Aug 2012? Where has that time gone? What have I done in that space of time? I think it is indicative of the increased work load I now have and the simplicity of using Face Book for brief updates on my daily life. I am what is known now as an Empty nester, yet the nest is far from empty! There are more people living at our address than before and more are due.Yet the house is empty and only one of the bedrooms is being used. How so? Well, that is because my middle daughter with her husband and 2 children with another on the way live in the garden! They have built a mobile flat packed home in the garden. It is very superior accommodation with 2 bedrooms, a lovely living /kitchen area, bathroom and hallway, and a Verandah. I also loved the idea of a verandah, loved the idea of house like the "Waltons", with Grandma on a rocking chair on the verandah, loads of children running around, Grandparents, parents and children all living, working and eating together. How close have we come to that ideal lifestyle? The answer is "yes", we have a really lovely family lifestyle, the grandchildren spend so much time at our house they feel as comfortable with us as they do their parents.We have dogs, cats, chickens. A large garden with a wood to play in and have adventures. Never a dull moment. We have big family meals together at the weekends but do our own separate thing during the week. We pop into each others all the time. We share milk, sugar, bread eggs and bacon, cheese whatever one hasn't got but the other has, so there is constant too-ing and froo-ing from the 2 houses. We cross the "car park" to get to each other's house. I say "Car park" advisedly as my husband Stan and son- in- law Nick have filled the drive way with cars, not just the ones they drive, but about 25 in total that they do up to sell, sometimes it's like a maze to get round the cars and we need a map to show us the way. This is us on a good day, covered in snow they look quite nice! I used to work from home which was the perfect solution but now I work from an office so do not spend so much time at home and miss my garden. This summer I hardly sat out in the garden.Though I know the rest of the family did. I am missing out, so not so much Waltons for me, only at the weekends. My eldest lives about an hour away and the youngest has just gone off to Uni, but as she met a young man from near home before she went we see her home more than she intended! So the nest is never quite empty. It is strange but nice to have some space to be us after all these years.Hubby and I are getting to know one another again. But being parents & grandparents is never far away.

No comments: