Thursday 17 January 2008

Not long till my operation............

It's just 10 days now till I go in to hospital for my boob exchange, I've not given it much thought really. It is supposed to be a simple operation, taking out the old implant that did the expanding work for me following my mastectomy last March and replacing it with a permanent silicone implant. I should only be in for one night and then home resting for 2 weeks.


I've got rather attached to my temporary boob, it will be strange to have a different one, the permanent one should be more rounded and hopefully slightly lower than this one, because I do look slightly lopsided. Mind you my consultant has warned me that I will my real breast will still be larger than the implant and may wish to consider having a reduction on that side....... I don't think I want to put my self through that. Though in some ways I have this vague feeling that my real breast is now the alien and that both should look the same as the implant and then I'd be balanced. There is no medical reason to have the good boob taken off, but it will always be in the back of my mind that the cancer could come again. Some women who have genetic breast cancer links do have both removed just in case. I'll keep it as long as I can, as I know a second breast lost would have an enormous impact on both my hubby and I, which doesn't bear thinking about at this stage.




I came across a great article about women who'd had mastectomies and were determined to not let it affect their lives, and wanted to prove they could still be glamourous and sexy, they have done very tasteful calendar. If you're interested go to http://www.bosombuddiestrust.org/


On a more humorous note, but still connected to breasts: My daughter's delightful puppy Molly is becoming a naughty little girl and she keeps stealing clothes . This morning as I lay in bed, contemplating having to get up but not wanting to, I could hear this ripping, crunching noise, going on beside my bed. I looked down and could see Molly was chewing something, I grabbed my glasses, without which I see nothing, and discover she has a white strap in her mouth. It's the strap from my bra, the bra itself lying abandoned on the rug, now ripped to pieces! I grabbed the strap and shouted "No" at Molly, but it's too far gone to repair.


Nothing for it, I'll have to venture out to Debenhams to buy a new bra. I only had 2 that fitted well, now just one! Good excuse to buy another, but it is a chore i do not enjoy. It is hard to find a bra to fit me well, with the implant on one side, let's hope they still have the same type in stock , that'll do me just fine!


I'll have to put yet another photo of Molly up, just because she is so sweet, albeit naughty!! This is a photo of my cousin with Molly & Beth , at my parents house in Norfolk over Christmas. It was the first time I'd seen my cousin for several years, it was so lovely to see her.


9 comments:

Norma Murray said...

Best of luck with the operation. It is funny. I was just thinking about you this morning. Glad to see that all is going well. I really appreciated the link on your blog. Amazing women, well you are yourself....
Best wishes LWB

Elizabethd said...

I'm sure all will be well, will be thinking of you. Take care.

Chris Stovell said...

Very best wishes for your op - I saw that calender in one of the weekend papers, what beautiful pictures and well done those women.

If positive thinking helps at all you'll have lots of good wishes from everyone here to speed you through - hope you're pleased with your new boob.

Exmoorjane said...

Oh good luck with the op, Elaine.... Somewhere I have seen an ad for lovely bras for women who've had mastectomies - grrr, where was it? if I find it, I;ll let you know.
I have seen that calendar too and think it's brilliant....a beautiful body doesn't need two boobs!

Inthemud said...

I know Jane, I've seen the catalogue, now I've mislaid it and cannot remember the name of company, mind you they are mail order and I prefer to be able to try on ...........fussy or what

Pili pala said...

A good friend of mine had her implant replaced last year, as after ten years her other breast had changed size! She proudly told me that while she was there she was going to have a tummy tuck at the same time. She looks so well and very confident.
I had a breast lump removed in November so empathise with you. Look after yourself, accept any pampering offered.

Frances said...

Hello again, Elaine,

I really like the way that you have written about you approach to the operation.

Your attitude is top notch!
Good luck with the bra shopping. And best wishes to the adorable, if naughty, puppy.

xo

Casdok said...

Good luck with the boob job, realy hope all goes well for you.
Molly is very cute. :)

CAMILLA said...

Dear Elaine,

Good luck with the op,I saw an advert a few years ago named Ultimo for Bra's, was this the name Elaine? Brilliant idea about the Calender by the way.

Oh, Molly is a little scamp, even though he has been naughty, I bet you can't help loving him.

Love & Best Wishes,
Camilla.xx